A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

How to remove the front bumper, need to replace right bumper absorber

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 07:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove the front bumper, need to replace right bumper absorber

Some one hit my car on saturday, there is no visible sign of damage to the bumper cover but whe i open the hood i notice the bumper is pushed a few cm on the right side, so i think the right bumper absorber has to be replaced, I need more info on removing this thanks!!!!!
Old 12-08-2003, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ask Oneqwikwhip. I think his got this down pat.
Old 12-08-2003, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default here's an email I sent to someone on sportec front install. it explains how to remove he bumper

Terribly sorry for the delay. been extremely busy.

Front Bumper Install-

(added in) To pull out the grills on the plastic lower 1. for the foglights look closely at them. there are 4 tabs, one in each corner. Just pry them a little with a flathead screwdriver and they pop out. While you don't have to remove teh fog lights, I did to prevent any harm being done to them. 2. for the center air dam just pull it back. pops right out.(added in)

Haha, wow. What fun this was. Ok well first off you have to remove the bumper. This requires removing 2 large allen bolts that bolt the bumper to the bumper beam. They are fine threaded and take a while. They are located on each end of the center air dam on the bottom side of the upper part of the bumper(if that makes any sense). Then you need to unbolt the sides. This is easily accomplished with the wheels off, but acn also be done with the wheels on. Just turn them into the wheel well for the side you are working on. Then unscrew the outer part of the fender liner. pull it back a little and look inside. You will see 3 nuts. I believe they are 8mm. the passenger side is much easier to get your hand in than the drivers side because of the intercooler getting in the way. So for the drivers side I started the nuts by hand and then used a couple extensions to tighten them up. A deep socket is advised but can be done without. Pull straight back now and the bumper should come off. Disconnect the hose for the headlight washers. on the drivers side there is a little black quick disconnect for that. Watch out for washer fluid draining! then on that same side there is a harness that needs to be disconnected. Now you are completely seperated from the car.

Don't forget to take off the lower engine shield.

Time to pull off the lower plastic piece. If you look at it from behind it is held on by many many tabs. I just cut them all off. It was too damn hard to try and push them through. then just give it a tug and the lower pulls right off. Then you are left with the upper bumper and a sub-frame for the plastic lower. Put the bumper back on now. Now is when it comes in handy to have some air tools for cutting. I ended up cutting out the entire center section of the sub-frame and cut back a lot on the sides where the fog lights are. Make sure you leave the foglight housings nice and sturdy as you will still be using them.

Here is a link to the pic of my dad cutting the bumper back
http://pictureposter.audiworld.com/39560/cutting2.jpg

We ended up going as far back as the red lines but completely removing the center section. We also grinded back a little off the sides of the lower section under the fender as you will figure out as you go. becaues this bumper just doesn't slide over very easy.

The rest I really can't instruct on what to do. it's all based on your part that you get. Just start with one end and place it flush on one side then try to pull the other side up without breaking it. Get used to the cracking sound. I also chipped a couple edges but it's not big deal...it has to get sanded down anyways.

Well, I hope this helps out for your future plans!

Best regards,

Scott
Old 12-08-2003, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

lol :-)
Old 12-08-2003, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

thank you thank you thank you...
Old 12-08-2003, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol, yes, it was for that kid^^^
Old 03-14-2004, 09:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default thank you thank you too, me and avanteix are having the same issue right now

except my grill fits =X