A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

I don't quite understand this aspect of service...

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I don't quite understand this aspect of service...

I'm bringing my car in to Audi tomorrow (New Country in Greenwich, not my favorite) to have my clutch checked, as I'm nearly positive it needs to be replaced. Basically, when I engaage the clutch (say, from a stop in first gear, but it happens in most gears) it feels like it slips a few times before the car actually catches and starts accelerating. I've never had a failed clutch before, but this is the only thing I can imagine.

Anyway, I called the dealer to see if they could do an oil change since the car has 45K miles, and I thought I remembered getting a notice saying I get one at 45K. Unfortunately, they said they only do oil changes every 10 thousand miles or 1 year, which ever comes first, so they wouldn't do it (unless I paid, of course). But isn't that really unhealthy? I've always changed my oil every 3-5K miles, because after all I may keep this car for years to come and want to take good care of the engine. I always use synthetic, new filter, etc. So now I'll end either getting it done elsewhere or doing it myself, and then going back in a couple months when I have 49.9K miles and getting another one (MAYBE three thousand miles later). Bogus!
Old 02-22-2006, 12:17 PM
Joey T

Audi sells replacement engines
Old 02-22-2006, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warranty is good up to 50k? Right?...Will they do it for free at 49.9k?

I was running low on oil recently and changed it myself (took it to someone actually). I also received the same slip in the mail, but didn't elect to call because my service department usually takes the whole morning to complete the oil change. Plus they're usually backed up for a few days and I couldn't wait because the oil light came on.

Audi usually charges about 90 bucks a pop to do oil change, but so does Jiffy lube.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yeah she said they would do it for free up to the time my warranty expires...

Actually it sounds like I'll get a free one at 51K miles, because that's an even 10K miles.

If you buy the mobile 1 at Costco it's pretty cheap, then either do it yourself or take it to Jiffy Lube or Expressway.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:35 PM

Default Sh*t, should've called...would've had a free oil change..I thought changes ended at 40k.

Thanks for the info on mobile uno.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Doing an oil change every 5K may be over kill, I think most folks here stick with 7-10K

I timed my last few maintenances such that I went about 7K between oil changes and got my last service just before my warranty went out--worked out fine.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I get mine changed every 5K, which means I pay for every other oil change
Old 02-22-2006, 01:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New Country in Greenwich is teh suck...big time
Old 02-22-2006, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default no kidding...

I wrote a very explicit note to them (both the service advisors and the mechanics) saying, politely, to please call me prior to performing any procedures other than diagnostics. In other words, I want to know EXACTLY what's wrong with the car and How much it's going to cost (if not warranty) to have it fixed. Then I'll either OK the repair or pick up the car and take it somewhere a bit more trustworthy.
Old 02-23-2006, 04:42 AM

def. the worst dealer evar!!!!!!! that's why i drive from greenwich to fairfield...

Quick Reply: I don't quite understand this aspect of service...