A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

I just spoke with my dealer about OEM sport suspensions. According to him they only replace the ...

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I just spoke with my dealer about OEM sport suspensions. According to him they only replace the ...

springs with Eibach sport springs. Now I currently have a non-sport setup. My concern would be that the shocks will deteriorate quicker. They didn't know anything about being able to purchase sport shocks and haven't had anyone come back to complain about thier non-sport shocks with sport springs. Now I just have a few questions, 1) are the non-sport shocks the same as the sport shocks? 2) if a 3.0 comes with the sport package, couldn't I get the exact same shocks and springs? 3) if I get aftermarket shocks and springs (and dealer installed) they said it'll void warranty, is that complete warantee or just warranty on suspension?

I would really appreciated some insight on these questions. I plan to make a few mods and would like to know what I'm up against. Many thanks in advance!

(I also live in Ontario Canada)
Old 06-09-2003, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

How much were they charging you just to swap out the springs?
Old 06-09-2003, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

$500 CDN for 4 springs.
Old 06-09-2003, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Some insight for you....

The Eibach setup that the dealer installs is not the same as the OEM factory sport suspension (build code 1BE is what it's generally referred to as).

The Eibach setup is only springs, just as the dealer said and it will give a more substantial drop than the 1BE sport suspension. You are also correct that this will probably wear your stock shocs out quicker too. The stock 1BE setup differs from the 1BA (non-sport build code) setup in the following ways:
- different front and rear springs
- different front and rear shocks
- different front helper springs
- different rear buffers
- different front and rear sway bars
- horizontal stiffening bar in the engine compartment.

From the above list you can get everything from the dealer and have it installed except for the welded in stiffening bar.

your anwers:
1) No, sport shocks are different than non-sport shocks and they come in two different weight codes depending on engine/drivetrain etc.

2) You can get the 1BE OEM factory springs and shocks from your dealer they will be different from the Eibach springs though, a little less drop and the shocks are matched to the springs. Also there are about 15 different weight codes for the springs you would have to know your exact one (can be found in the spare wheel well, a three letter code starting with OJ and OY for the front and rear respectively, I think) to get the mathcing 1BE springs to your 1BA setup.

3) I'm pretty sure the only warranty that will be voided by going aftermarket is the suspension parts (they're not OEM afterall and the dealer can't warrant them). Everything else should still carry the full manufacturer warranty.

Total cost of a true 1BE upgrade would be around $1K including the front and rear sway bars, shocks, springs and helper springs and buffers.

I hope that helps!
Old 06-09-2003, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

oh, the price I was mentioning was USD in the US.....
Old 06-09-2003, 08:41 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Do you get fries with that?

:-) Great answer...I just couldn't think of anything more to add or ask! :-P
Old 06-09-2003, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Do you have aftermarket sport suspension?
Old 06-09-2003, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Me? Check my signature and cry with me......

I don't even have an A4 yet!!! If it all goes well I should be picking up my 2004 6-speed Avant with OEM sport suspension in August.....

I've been researching the B5 and B6 platform cars (both Passat and Audi) since last December so I have managed to learn a ton about them. I was going to get a B5.5 Passat and you can't get the 1BE as a factory option on that one, however you can order the parts for it at your VW dealer. I was going to do that install, that is how I got to learn so much about the OEM sport suspensions. My wife has a 2002 Jetta GLS 1.8T, and I'm pretty familiar with VAG cars in general (Dad had an Audi 100, an A4 Avant and now a B5.5 Passat).

And the waiting continues......
Old 06-09-2003, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sorry! :..( Well, post pics when you get your ride!
Old 06-09-2003, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Ok, I have these codes: OYN and OJL. What do these tell me and what do I need to do with these to...

get the proper suspensions?

Quick Reply: I just spoke with my dealer about OEM sport suspensions. According to him they only replace the ...