A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

I ordered a car, but found a better deal after the fact. What do I do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2002, 09:36 AM
Yan
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I ordered a car, but found a better deal after the fact. What do I do?

I ordered a car from my present dealer last weekend. We settled on a $1500 over invoice (a little more than 5%) plus I guess he is keeping the loyalty rebate if one exists when the car gets here in July. All together this is not a bad deal. Right in line with Edmunds TMV. I gave them $500 credit card deposit, but I also have a verbal egreement with them that if I have no job in July, I am not taking the car (long story). Yesterday I got an e-mail from another dealer that is willing to order for $800 over invoice. This other dealer is not close/convenient to my house and I have never really dealt with them. Even though I still feel like a got a decent deal from my present dealer and they are accomodating my special job situation, I realize that I could be saving about $20/month on the lease if I ordered from the cheaper place. I am looking for some advice from the more seasoned car buyers/salespeople here. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-03-2002, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You may have found a lower price, but not neccesarily a better deal.

The loyalty rebate can only be applied to you - not the dealership, unless you sign it away to them. If still in effect, you must sign off on it. So what you have is a delta of $600 to $700 dollars. Now you need to go over the other deal with a fine tooth comb, because dealers so close to each other usually don't vary by such a large amount. Find out if they expect you to sign over the loyalty money to them. Do they add in any extra fees ? They may say no now, but how about later ? Will this be in writing ? Any feedback on service from them ?

What is the policy of the dealer nearest you about servicing cars not purchased there ? Do purchasers get any perks ?

It really boils down to making sure you are comparing apples to apples. That is the hardest part. What is the real price, what incentive do the dealers have to be honest when they will never see you again, will they hassle you to take delivery, what after sale perks can you expect ?

If the difference is really $600, you are looking at about $12 a month difference in payment. It sounds like your local dealer is trying to be decent, and the other dealer will do anything to steal the sale. Just beware that there is often a catch.
Old 04-03-2002, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I concur with April. I was in a similar situation. Local dealer wanted....

MSRP in an affluent city. Country dealer quoted 3% ove invoice. Two hour drive. My local dealer has an excellent service reputation which might help explain the MSRP quote. I ultimately chose the country dealer cause of a $2,000.00 difference. But the deal wasn't done just cause the car came in. When I finally told them I want to just pay for the car outright, the price suddenly jumped $450.00. I played them and they played me. Fair enough. But if I had it to do over, I wouldn't look at price alone.
My .02 cents
Old 04-03-2002, 10:41 AM
Yan
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: You may have found a lower price, but not neccesarily a better deal.

April,
Thanks for your insight. I really enjoy reading your posts here. I remember in one of your posts you were talking about the customer-to-dealer loyalty. I agree that people that hop from dealer to dealer to save $100 and expect some special treatment later may get disappointed. So the laylaty rebate is a check that I get from Audi with my name on it? When I signed the order for the car I made the dealer put down the total cost of the car they would be putting on the lease agreement and they calculated the payment based on current rates. I realize that this may change in July. I think the dealer also wrote "Based on current loyalty rebate program" on the order. I guess this means that I have to sign over the rebate to them. In reality I only got an e-mail from the other dealer stating the cap cost of the car they would be putting on the lease. They did not say anything about the rebate. I told them that I am a current owner, so they may have figured that in. As far as my current dealer goes, I think they give loaners for service with salesman's approval. Once I was there for service and this lady came to drop off her car for service. The service manager asked her why she did not buy the car here. She said something about her husband getting a corporate rebate from another dealer 'upstate'. The service manager did not seem too happy, but I guess he is obligated to service the car under warranty. I am sure they would not be too accomodating to people like that. This is why I want to stick with the deal I have. I think it would be the wise choice. I just wanted to get an opinion from people here. Thanks again.
Old 04-03-2002, 11:05 AM

Default Re: You may have found a lower price, but not neccesarily a better deal.

MSRP: UNREALISTIC.
3% over Invoice is more then fair.
5% over invoice - about average.

I bought my car in princeton, NJ about as affluent as they get in my state, but the price was right. My advice is be reasonable with your local sales rep. Negotiate to what you know from research is the invoice price.

When problems arise or you have a question, you will be able to go back and ask. When you need things you will find that you get them, and the discounts will continue to get better as you return for new vehicles. Also you get more personal service.

my $0.02

-a41802 Qm - Light Metallic Silver
Old 04-03-2002, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: I concur with April. I was in a similar situation. Local dealer wanted....

What is the loyalty rebate ??

I purchased my A4 last year from the same dealer that I bought my A6 from 6 months earlier, and he didn't mention any loyalty rebate to me.

I haven't been able to find anything about it on audiusa.com.
Old 04-03-2002, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default The loyalty rebate is applied to the purchase of the new car - usually the cap cost.

The dealer has paperwork you fill out with various info from your current/previous Audi required. The dealer submits the paperwork to Audi, and in the meantime writes the deal as if you had already applied the loyalty rebate. They float the amount until Audi pays them.
Old 04-03-2002, 03:23 PM

Default You just reminded me of a pretty funny story...

A friend of mine once negotiated a good deal on a loaded Honda Accord. She was paying cash for it. When she went in to pick up the car, she whipped out her Master Card and told the salesman to "charge it" (she figured she might as well float the money, interest free, for 30 days). The salesman freaked, but my friend pointed to the big sign that said "Master Card and Visa accepted". I guess the dealer had no choice. They put the car on her Master Card and paid the 3% fee. LOL!
Old 04-03-2002, 03:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

April I too enjoy your posts and I wholeheartedely agree. I read lots of posts here about going to an out of town dealer to save $100. I've recently bought two cars from my local VW/Audi store (A4 for me and a Beetle for my wife) and while we got fair deals (under MSRP) I'm sure there are those that have gotten the same cars for a few hundred dollars less somewhere. On the other hand, when my wife took the bug in to have some minor work done our salesman made sure that she had a loaner, and then rode in the car with her when the work was done to make sure she was happy. The bottom line is important, but it isn't the only thing.
Old 04-03-2002, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

MOst dealerships now have a policy regarding how large a deposit can be made on a credit card.

Quick Reply: I ordered a car, but found a better deal after the fact. What do I do?