A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

I saved alot of money fixing my bent 19's myself. Just took a hammer and banged it back.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saved alot of money fixing my bent 19's myself. Just took a hammer and banged it back.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i wouldnt be so sure about that...id have them profesionally looked at.

they could have internal damage (hair line cracks/fissures) How you you like to hit a pot hole on the freeway at 70+ and have that thing crack apart on you? many things you can DIY but wheels id pay someone to look at them....just my 2 cents though.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

well that's what they do to your wheels when you get them fix anways. I saw them do it.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:38 PM

Default i agree with the previous poster

Perhaps if you have steel wheels, however i agree with the previous poster. But hey, its just your life and all of the other motorists on the road that you risk when you do some half baked repair on something as critical as wheels. if you did something like this to your brakes would you feel safe? what about your tires? if your engine fails or something like that because of some cheap fix you made you will probably be fine, but if your going down the road at 65+ and you have a wheel crack in half you will probably cause more damage in dollars than it is to fix this problem, and have the potential of hurting or killing someone. so "saving alot of money" could in turn cost you alot of money.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default It's not rocket science to bend your wheels back...perhaps i better trust a guy getting paid..

$6/hr to fix my wheels. That makes me feel a whole lot better.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:04 PM

Default Re: It's not rocket science to bend your wheels back...perhaps i better trust a guy getting paid..

Cracks are of particular importance, because they are the single most common type of damage that can leave a wheel "beyond repair". When a wheel bends near the base of a spoke, haze marks in the finish can sometimes be seen and are indicative of stress caused to the wheel. If the base of a spoke stresses the alloy, the wheel will either start to crack or be in clear danger of cracking.

Should a crack appear near the base of a spoke, WCC considers the wheel to be irreparable. While the gage of metal around the spoke is thicker and it would be possible to grind out and weld the surface, the proper repair would require cutting out the stressed area, welding the wheel and the finished product would not stand up to WCC's strength criteria.

from https://www.audiworld.com/news/01/wheelrepair/content.shtml

and at least that guy thats getting paid $6/hr knows what he is looking at. also just because you saw someone at a shop do it dosnt mean its the right thing to do- i used to work at a shop as a service writer and we had some pretty dumb people doing pretty stupid things.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I am aware of your concern but...

let's not take it personally...there are people with no experience with cars what so ever and are doing their own brake jobs. fyi, i know when the wheels are cracked OK. It was a simple bend back to prevent a small air leakage. I hope you don't trust everyone at the wheel store. I'm pretty sure they not all experts as you think.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Awesome DIY!!! Also, TPIWWP
Old 12-12-2006, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

lol
Old 12-12-2006, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

How do you know they're perfectly round again?

Quick Reply: I saved alot of money fixing my bent 19's myself. Just took a hammer and banged it back.