A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

I walk out of my garage last night and I find two kids tying to steal my valve stem caps!....

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I walk out of my garage last night and I find two kids tying to steal my valve stem caps!....

They've already made off with 3 sets in the last 2 months. This last time I put the caps on with a wrench so I take it that they were having an exraordinary time trying to get them off. I yelled after them and they hopped on their bikes and took off. I hopped in my car an chased afte them, but they were able to disappear from sight. I went back home and called the cops. I had previously reported the other sets as stolen. An officer came by and took a statement and he went looking for them himself. But by that time it was about a 1/2 hour later so they would have been long gone. Thing was I was just in the process of getting a security light installed on the house that night to deter them in the future! The cop suggested I park in a different location, but I can't do that for several reasons. Besides, they already came into my driveway to steal them off the car when I had it parked almost up to the garage (about 40 feet from the street). So distance doesn't seem to bother them. I'm mostly afraid that since they didn't get what they wanted they might come back again to ge them or they might do something else to the car as retaliation. Besides a motion light what do you think I can do to stop this crap? I've thought of a security camera, but that is $$$ and if I don't recognize who is in the video then I have almost no hope of catching them. I guess you can't have anything nice these days without someone either trying to take it away from you or trying to damage it.
Old 08-10-2004, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default I'd knock a hole in my wall and park the car inside the house...

Damn children. Can you rent a rabid pitbull and just keep it chained outside by your car??? Cheers! mike
Old 08-10-2004, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default just get a fake camera and put it out there. To the common kid

a blinking red light is enough to stop them from breaking into the car, therefore a fake camera should send them a signal. Place it in obvious sight though...and just for good times, put a sign up half way up your driveway that says "This property is protected with video surveylance"
Old 08-10-2004, 06:10 AM

Default shotgun

Park the car in the street, hide in the bushes, and when they try it again walk out with the rifle wearing a straw hat and drinking a can of natty ice. Nobody is gonna f*ck with a drunk redneck with a rifle.
Old 08-10-2004, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Radio Shack sells a Dog-Bark unit with a motion sensor. It will draw a lot of attention along with

the security light. You could also get a wireless all-weather motion sensor camera. BBuy sells them or check with tigerdirect.com Of course this is for peace of mind and maybe you can catch them.
Old 08-10-2004, 06:16 AM

Default Just buy a few steel sets of caps from Autozone, and put them in a bag

outside your garage with a sign that says "take two for your bike." It'll be cheaper than any other solution, and once the kids in your area all have caps, they won't take them anymore.
Old 08-10-2004, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

why not in the garage?
Old 08-10-2004, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Here's a sample unit...I've seen several. It's smart I think.

<ul><li><a href="http://www.x10.com/security/x10_dk9000.htm">http://www.x10.com/security/x10_dk9000.htm</a></li></ul>
Old 08-10-2004, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

My father has his two cars in there - I guess it's time to move
Old 08-10-2004, 06:21 AM

Default I would Snap! Punk Kids ( damn I sound like my Dad )

Since they have been back several times have you not gotten a look at them or their bikes? I saw something on the movie "The Jackel" where you can spray something on the caps and when they touch your Audi again they will foam at the mouth and drop dead...To extreme??? : )

I like the rabid pitbull idea. Dogs need to eat to.

You could get a camera that has a motion detector with it that takes photos when activated...You can get them at sporting good stores in the hunting section. Hunters use them all the time to check out an area prior to season. maybe $100. They have flashes and work very well in the dark.....
I think if the little bastards see a flash that they will be scared enough not to stay around since they will probably think it was you that took the pic. Could also be a deterant for future night activity.

Good luck

Quick Reply: I walk out of my garage last night and I find two kids tying to steal my valve stem caps!....