A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

i want to pop out my cat should i or should i just get a test pipe

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i want to pop out my cat should i or should i just get a test pipe
Old 08-30-2004, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Uh... if you removed the cat but didn't get a test pipe... you'd have a 1 ft gap in your exhaust!
Old 08-30-2004, 11:00 AM

not remove just gut it meaning empty everything out of it
Old 08-30-2004, 11:16 AM
Former Vendor

Default A stock cat from the dealer is over $1200 if you change your mind that's how much it will cost you..

to go back. You are better off getting one of these to experiment with not to mention you can always resale the test pipe check the link below.<ul><li><a href="http://www.ecodetuning.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_detail&amp;p=370">http://www.ecodetuning.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_detail&amp;p=370</a</li></ul>
Old 08-30-2004, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

just grab an old cat from a junk yard and hollow it. I hollowed mine and love it.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:53 AM
Former Vendor

Default Mike I thought you purchased a 3" test pipe & previously you had your stock cat hollowed not...

one from a junk yard. Did you know that hollowing a cat causes turbulence and disturbs the exhaust flow? How is the GT28R project coming along is that stock manifold enough to support that turbo even with the port and polish? I have owned GT28RS turbo's with .86AR and they are at full boost at 3200RPM with the proper manifold. Where does the 28R come in with the little stock manifold just curious? You should be able to easily get 25psi out of that turbo with proper software tuning are you getting there or is the car hitting limp and shutting the throttle plate?
Old 08-30-2004, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The hollowed cat works perfectly. I call BS on it not working. You saw the dynos compared to the..

$1800 dollar 100sci hiflow cat from MTM mounted under the car and i put out more torque in my car with the hollowed cat. So no problems doing it. I did purchase the 3" testpipe and after the dyno at champion I said screw it and am using the hollowed cat.

The turbo starts spooling at 3000rpm and doesnt hit peak until 3900 rpm. Silence mentined to me that his T28 does not reach peak boost until 3800rpm, so with the right programming I shouldnt be too far off.

The problem I am dealing with is the underboost code. The software revisions are on the way so we should have it solved this week. The car boosts to 16-17psi right now and i am looking to run aroung 23psi without the use of a MBC since we know that most people do not possess the knowledge to properly run one and that is looking for trouble. I am one of those people I'd rather not spend time everyday d1cking with it. I am talking to MTM and Dahlback about some things for this kit as well so we should have some neat things down the pipeline.

Cheers! Mike
Old 08-30-2004, 12:39 PM

Default how about the Milltek HiFlow Cat for A4 1.8T? it's...

a 200-cell Platinum-coated stainless steel cat. Is it worth the $649 price tag?
Old 08-30-2004, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The problem is that it is mounted right after the turbo. You want that thing farther down the line.
Old 08-30-2004, 01:37 PM
Former Vendor

Default I never said it would not work its logical that if you hollow a cat it will work but.....

you can't tell me that a honey comb like structure broken to pieces with all the rough edges is going to have the same flow characteristics as a perfectly round pipe I don't know I must be wrong and haven't done enough research on that. So does a hollowed out cat with rough edges flow as smooth as a 2.5" perfectly round pipe?

I thought that you put the stock cat back on to have an emissions compliant look not because of better performance. Never the less a stock cat is going to cost you $1200+ if you ruin it and at the junkyard a cat will cost you $50+ dollars and you have to get dirty that's if you get lucky and find one also in the end it would have no resale value. The test pipe on the other hand will not cost you as much time to obtain and it includes the required gasket and hardware plus free shipping not to mention it will have resale value I doubt that the stainless steel pipe &amp; flanges will be going bad anytime soon .

Silence has a T28 you have the GT series turbo not the T and should see better spool up than him. Also his 3800 peak boost is 22psi you are only peaking at 16-17 at 3900 I would take a closer look at that setup and see where your restrictions are good luck.

messing with the N75 or changing it out to make your car spike to 28psi is like using a MBC the N75 is the boost controller in the car I thought you did swap your N75 to some other fancy unit to achieve spike of 28psi on your K-04 if you don't like to mess with the boost why did you do that? I also read something about you using some billet plugs to insert in the N75 lines to increase boost wouldn't this qualify as playing with the boost?

Once a MBC or and EBC is set there is no need to change anything unless you can't keep your hands
to yourself for some odd reason .

Cheers,

David Sarabi

Quick Reply: i want to pop out my cat should i or should i just get a test pipe