A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

i want to pop out my cat should i or should i just get a test pipe

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default I definitely wanted to pass visual smog. The hollowed cat is smooth as silk inside...

The material taken out is a metal matrix and is a b1th to get out but once its all out it is perfectly smooth. I love it.

I put the stock N75 back in for obvious reasons Throwing 28psi at a gt28r was not in my game plans as of yet. The software on my K04 was adapting to the N75K perfectly. I could post at least 20 posts right now on the troubles with MBCs right now. Wanna challenge me

If MTM and ABT and all of those tuners most aspire to be at their level can run well without an MBC than that is what I am hoping to accomplish. I know it is taking the hard road, but I would rather go back to the MTM Stage 3 than have it any other way. I am still thinking I might want to do this.

You bring up an excellent point about how to get this girl running faster. AWE is coming out with a fully tuned GT28R that utilizes the stock manifold within two months so I have been trying to learn from Dr. Lim exactly how it is working out for him.

I may learn that I have to just live with a shifted rev band, and in that case I like the delivery of the K04 much better. 280lbs/ft to the wheels at such a low rpms was awesome for powering out of the turns. Granted, if I were doing 1/4 mile stuff than i'd definitley stick with what I have.

Around town the old K04 was awesome. The boost was always there. I'm kind of missing that.

Do you have a time line on when Revo might have something tuned for the big turbos?

Cheers! Mike
Old 08-30-2004, 02:36 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MBC with proper software = no problem MBC with k03/k04 software = problems

Many who try and manipulate the BOSCH monotonic system by using MBC on cars running software designed for K-03 or K-04 are asking for trouble I agree thats even when they use resistors on the throttle body. There are hundreds of thousand of race cars running MBC without problems if your software was designed for it it's not going to be a problem in our cars either. Silence has one and has not had a single problem with it contact him if you wish. I also have ran EBC on several of my cars with 100% success including my B6 A4 I'm not doing anything different than anybody else would with a MBC or EBC other than run proper software .

You should really do an online guide on how to hollow out your cat and give us some shots of what it looks like the next time you take your cat off. We have a hard time trying to make that thing become perfectly smooth inexperienced I guess. How long did it take to hollow out the CAT?

Again the time and effort associated with hollowing a stock cat is not worth the dollars especially if you do it to using your stock cat which is $1200+ that is one expensive test pipe IMHO.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default No doubt David that a testpipe is a much quicker solution, the cat is just great for smog...

Thats the main reason I kept it. It's nice seeing a relatively stock looking engine compartment. I am moving to KY so I have to be worried about the smog patrol It took like 4 hours to get all that crap out of there. It was a PITA but the results were great. Next time I have it off i'll post a pic. I think the testpipe is definetely a fine solution and will likely give about the same benefit. As for price, i think it's about even. Figure a $50 cat plus the time it takes you to hollow it out will defenitely equal a $200 testpipe. Next time around it shouldnt take four hours thank goodness. We whipped out the air chisel and that did the trick finally cheers! mike
Old 08-30-2004, 02:57 PM
Former Vendor

The stealth factor is a plus good luck with the GT28R and keep us posted.
Old 08-30-2004, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Unless you're actually concerned with pollution, right?
Old 08-30-2004, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

These engines could pass smog with NO pollution devices. Fvck the EPA
Old 08-30-2004, 10:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Day'm. I forgot you had that radical "brother" hanging around.