A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

If I put a large port head (AEB) on my AMB, will I need new software even if I transfer over all

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 07:34 AM
B56
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default If I put a large port head (AEB) on my AMB, will I need new software even if I transfer over all

valves cams vvt etc?

Will I see any gains?
Old 08-16-2007, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You need to think about.....

intake port velocity into the engine head. Too low and you'll see slower spool up. I would recommend a GT28RS turbo at a minimum for a AEB ported head. You will also need to make sure the cams line up the same with the position sensor and vvt when switching from AMB to AEB. I'd personally rather port your current AMB head to AEB specs. I'd throw in some Ferrea exhaust valves while the head is out for safe measure. They aren't too expensive. You will also need an AEB intake mani or aftermarket AEB spec mani to untilize the larger ports of the AEB head. The exhaust side is larger as well, so a port matched oem or aftermarket mani should be installed....although I feel the oem exhaust mani walls are too small to port out to aeb specs safely...
Old 08-16-2007, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

You sir are a wealth of information.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:56 AM
B56
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Ok, so the only thing that would be of most concern would be the camshaft? What if I

had new cams cut for an aeb head? any problems with that then? Yes a bigger turbo and new valves will be installed. Can you elaborate more on the cam pos. sensors and vvt thought? thanks, much appreciated!
Old 08-16-2007, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You need to....

I'm worried you will run into a problem with the vvt on the aeb head. Something that would have to be examined prior to intall by comparison. Something I'd need to see right in front of me to tell you for sure or not. That's why I just say port out your stock head to aeb spec. It's cheaper than buying an aeb head. No reason to get new cams cut to an oem spec lift and duration, that's just uneeded $$$ spent and not worth the investment. Think about it. New cut cams and an aeb head? porting and getting better aftermarket cams is what I would do if I was in your shoes. Go with some Cat Cams with a 3651 cut. Any more aggressive like a 3652 or 3653 and the programmming and vvt might have some problems running optimally. Not worth the risk. I made a good gain of power up top with the 3651 cams. If you just port out your stock head to aeb spec and build it right there is for sure no issue programming. I run Revo BT without issues. The stock intake valves are actually pretty high quality and strong. Intake valves live a relatively easy life compared to the exhaust valves. Sodium filled valves just aren't the best for the high heat of the exhaust valves. That's why Ferrea's are always a good bet. So IMO to keep costs down you can just get new exhaust valves and keep the stock intake valves in there.

If you want some good motor head work done, contact Bob@QEDpower.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I think that the TT225 and AMB use the same camshaft PNs.

My etka is down, but I think the AEB uses the same lift/timing/duration cam specs also.