A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

info. about upgrading front speakers

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2002, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default info. about upgrading front speakers

i'm planning to upgrade the front speakers initially before adding an amp/sub; for those who have done this, will component speakers with 6 1/2 or 7 inch size fit without modifying the car? I am leasing so i will want to easily remove at the end! Thanks!
P.S. (I have the stock non-bose system)
Old 08-13-2002, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

165mm to 170mm will fit fine, but you should amp them..
Old 08-13-2002, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Are you sure ?

I had the door off the other day and the stock speakers are on/in this silly plastic cup mounted on the door not the door panel. This "cup" slides inside a ring on the door pannel. You would have to build your own speaker ring to raise the woofer off the door and keep the ring size to one that would fit inside that insert on the door panel.

Its not as easy as one might think ... I am sad to report.
Old 08-13-2002, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A 6.5" or 6 3/4" should fit fine as long as they are not really deep seated. Ask Agg about this..
Old 08-13-2002, 10:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default True about not being too deep, but there is some fabbing involved...

The plastic "cup" is really a dual baffle and moisture/rain protector. You've got to mount the speaker and match the flange. You can use the cup, modify it to fit, use a foam rubber baffle, but make sure dropping the window doesn't whack it. Some gaps need to be sealed with silicon and the speaker mounted on putty for a sealed assembly. Once the door cover goes back on it's all pretty again. The tweeters are another mod to fit story as the factory has a locking ring sort of assembly you're not going to find on aftermarket. The connectors are easier to handle by just cutting off the OEM's from the speakers and making new cables. Damper material (Dynamat et al) is your friend.

Next week, class, we'll be answering the big question, "Where the hell did he hide the damn crossovers?" or "Why I'm glad it doesn't rain a lot in Southern California."

The most embarrassing part is the wife kept coming out, shaking her head, and asking me just what the hell was I thinking.
Old 08-14-2002, 07:42 AM

Slap some Focal 165k2's in there. nice big magnets.
Old 08-14-2002, 08:22 AM

Default Re: True about not being too deep, but there is some fabbing involved...

Can I have this installed professionally? Any recommendations in the LA area (SoCal)? I wish this was easier, the stock system does leave much to be desired!
Old 08-14-2002, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hmmm ... a couple more questions for ya !

How did you remove the stock woofer from that cup it seemed to be one piece ?

How did you mount the new woofer to that baffle ?

I am modifying a set of MB Quartz 216 components to fit my doors. Actually the tweeter "problem" is easily solved ... the recipie is 1 MB Quart tweeter and 1 Dremel ... you can shave the outter ring off the tweeter and it will fit quite snuggly into the stock tweeter opening in the door ! I have modified one already and will work on the second on the weekend but needed to figure out how to tackle the woofer first !
Old 08-14-2002, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default QR: Ever see a repair manual that has just a one liner to...

...start you off on replacing some obscure parts:

1. Remove engine.

The rear sub is like that. You've got to remove the C & D columns, the bolsters, and then the rear shelf. Ouch! I was hoping I could do it through the trunk at least. Maybe, but after seeing it's just an 8", downward firing, free-air, no proper porting or sealing speaker I'm temped to wait until an after market solution adds a box you can sling under the shelf. Oh, that gives me an idea: a wide, long but not high box - but my carpentry is not that good.

Anyway it's no wonder the woofer is weak and needs replacing but it's a bear to get to. I'll pass for now and let my wounds heal from the front doors.
Old 08-14-2002, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Big magnets = more depth needed and a wider bottom end.

Quick Reply: info. about upgrading front speakers