A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Insurance/repair questions (Just got hit)

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2002, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance/repair questions (Just got hit)

Just had the pleasure of being hit on the freeway today in my 02 QMS silver/ebony. Didn't even have plates on it yet; I picked it up little over a month ago. Fault was entirely with the other driver - I was stopped on the freeway in traffic, they didn't see me and couldn't brake in time.

My big fear now is having some insurance company try to hustle me off to joe's discount auto-body to repair my brand new car. Damage is basically the entire rear pannel from the trunk to the wheel well. I've heard in the past that car companies can state they will not honor the warranty if work is not done by the dealer and that this can be used to force the insurance company to allow the car to be fixed by the dealer with original parts. Anyone know if that is true, and where I might get a statement to that effect from Audi? Not sure I will need it, but I'm definitely apprehensive.

To add to the insult, when I finally got home, my new license plates were waiting in the mailbox (:

Anyone else out there with similar experience?

Also, anyone recommend a good body shop in San Diego area?

TIA,

Bob
Old 01-18-2002, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You should be able to pick who you want to repair the car.

It may take a long time to get parts because it is a new model. If the damage is bad (borderline total) see if the insurance company will get you a new car. They can repair this car and sell it.

If the damage is serious (IMHO 25% of the cost of the car) the car will never be the same. Some body shops do great work but they can never make it factory new.

I had a new car that was hit before I got plates too. It was never quite right, and after the body shop fixes your car they act as if they never want to see you again! Notice they almost NEVER cover rust. And trust me it will rust!
Old 01-18-2002, 10:20 PM

Default Agreed... Think there is a law on that

I've talked to a few people about this myself, and I think its law (Federal) that its your right to choose the repair shop - not the insurance company. The Ins. company might highly recomend that you take it to their own shop or one they have a deal with, they might even make it sound like you have to - Don't buy it!

The only real problem I think you may run into is they may not cover all the repairs your shop says need to be done. To minimize the chances of this happening, make you have a quote from the shop you want the repairs done at before the adjuster looks at the car. Then if the quote the adjuster gives is lower you can ask why right then. If they won't bring repair coverage up to level of your quote, threaten to bring your own Insurance company into it.

I got hit last summer. When the adjuster of the party who hit me gave the initial quote, he wasn't even going to replace my fender that was torn in one place. When I showed him my quote that said to "remove and replace" the fender, he went back to the car and looked a little closer and then added it to the quote.

Hope this helps and good luck!
Old 01-19-2002, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A bit far, but Fabricante In Lake Forest is the best bar none.

Yes, you have the right to take the car to any facility you wish for repairs.