A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Integrate iPod question...

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Integrate iPod question...

I'm interested in picking up a early x-mas present for myself, hehe. Lookin' to get an iPod mini and integrate it with the Bose/Symphony HU.

I did a search and came up with Blitzsafe and ICE-Link adapters that plug into the HU seamlessly and work fine. But I have a few questions.

Blitzsafe:
I see from one of the awsome DIY posts that a member did up, it displayed "CDC Track99" on the HU...does the track go past 99? Can you use the HU next/back etc buttons to control the iPod?
Also, I read that the Blitzsafe adapter can work with the Symphony HU's WITH satellite ready radios BUT won't work if satellite is installed (my case)...is the wiring a bit different? Would the use of the ICE-Link solve this problem?

ICE-Link:
Doesn't seem as popular as the Blitzsafe from my searches...is there a reason for this? It seems that it works with OEM HU controls pretty well, so I think that answers my question on the controlling the iPod from the HU.

Thanks guys!
Old 11-30-2004, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default answers:

Blitzsafe:You cannot control the ipod with the headunit, it just shows track 99 as something to display, it is only a aux input adapter

ice-link 1.1, I have: headunit control, track number display still means nothing, and it charges the ipod

Neither one will work with satt radio....
search the audio forum for jeff bipes, he has an adapter that works with satt and ipod
Old 11-30-2004, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default if you break down the features as a cost a la carte...

The blitzsafe adapter is $100 and provides the basic hardwiring.

The icelink is a bit over $200 and gives you a means to control your ipod from your radio head unit and also powers your iPod.

So think of this way.

$100 to get line in from your iPod to your car stereo
$30 for the belkin car ipod charger
$80 for the feature to control your iPod from your radio head unit.

If you think its worth it, that's about how much its costs.

The installation is super easy and can be done in about 10 minutes if you've done it before. Give 30 minutes if you haven't.
Old 11-30-2004, 03:59 PM

Default Re: Integrate iPod question...

The CDC track 99 is the default. I believe early Ipod installs could not control tracks through the HU. The current Icelink can control tracks through HU but not playlist. I thought I read the new Icelink + will control playlists through the HU, but I would check on the dension website to verify.

The icelink still does not take care of the Sat radio issue. Blitzsafe seems to be the most popular for vehicles without Sat hooked up. Plugs into the back of the radio. The ice-link uses a DIN connector.

I have a harness available to allow you to use both. You would still need to purchase an Ice-link. Email me for details.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a4gen2/msgs/712342.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/a4gen2/msgs/712342.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 11-30-2004, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default actually with the icelink v1.1...

When disc 1 is selected.. forward and reverse will change the track number.

when disc 6 is selected.. there are 4 levels of gain that you can change through.
Old 11-30-2004, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default what if I disconnect the XM connection in the back of the HU (assuming that's whats causing the (m))

incompatibility...because I'm planning on cancelling my XM trial, I don't listen to it very much, if at all. Just did the trial to try it out.
Old 11-30-2004, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

yes, I just read that on their site. Seems like only the first 5 play lists can be accessed.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Icelink Plus allows you to control five playlists and displays songs I just ordered it.
Old 11-30-2004, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default something I found on Autotoys.com about the SAT integration:

"This product requires an open factory cd changer port. Internal changers (built into the radio does not use the port). SAT options, etc will use the port. Once the aux adapter is plugged in, it should remain plugged in until you decide to discontinue using the product and return to full time use of your external changer or sat option."

so if I disconnect the SAT receiver (assuming it's using the free cd-changer port) then I should be able to use the Blitzsafe adapter or ICE-Link?
Old 11-30-2004, 08:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Correct

Quick Reply: Integrate iPod question...