A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Interesting observation....re:clutch+shifting smoothness

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2002, 03:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting observation....re:clutch+shifting smoothness

I've been experimenting with left foot position on my clutch, and found considerably improved smoothness when the pedal rests on the arch of the shoe. That is, the ball of my foot is above the clutch pedal. It's almost like I am using the arm of the clutch pedal rather than the pedal itself. Also, the movement of my leg doesn't depend on my heel resting on the floor.

The shifting motion is smoother and it is easier to get back into gear quickly without jerking.

When 'fully depressed' with this position, the clutch is probably only in about 85%, but I have found that that last 15% is not necessary for normal shifting.

Anyone agree? Try it if you are skeptical.

Drew
02 A4 3.0 QMS
Old 11-14-2002, 03:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It sounds like your seat is too far forward if you're needing to do that (m)

As in your leg movements are better with your foot higher up, because your leg is less bent in that position.

There are a number of good articles on the Internet about proper seat position for driving, to ensure your arms are never over-extended, your back doesn't tire, your legs can manipulate the pedals well, etc. In any case, the BALL of your foot should always be on the clutch pedal when it is depressed; Not your toes or arch of your foot. But, whatever works for you while being safe...
Old 11-14-2002, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you're pressing the clutch while your heel is resting on the floor? Damn you must have big feet :-)