A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

just checking.... you guys know you can re-load your wipers right

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just checking.... you guys know you can re-load your wipers right

The 8e0-955-425-a and 8e1-955-425-a metal wipers can be reloaded with 1j0-955-429-a (sold as pair) inserts.

need 3 tools
razor
pliars
small flathead screwdriver
Old 07-19-2005, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default w00t! Thanks for the heads up!

I need to replace mine...and I think the dealer has stopped giving them out as free warranty items.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:26 AM

Default audi... and dealer are not one and the same.

audi is cutting back on that sort of stuff. Dealer likes getting paid to do things, if audi doesnt want to pay for that stuff and the dealer goes and does it anyways then the dealer ends up eating the cost.

I've reloaded 100 or so sets of them it works every time. I'll do a more in detail writeup when i get home.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default what do you mean "re-load"?- you mean just replacing the inserts?

i replaced my inserts without any tools at all- i didnt even know you needed tools, lol, guess it would have made it easier
Old 07-19-2005, 11:54 AM

Default tools do help

its easy to do... however a pair of new blades is like $45 vs inserts which are a lot less.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default here is a detailed set of instructions... pictures shouldnt be necessary.

1. Work with one wiper at a time so you have the other as a reference if you get lost.
2. Remove wipers from car and SLOWLY place wiper arms back against glass as not to shatter windshield.
3. Place metal wiper on solid a surface like your kitchen counter. Lay it on it�<sup>TM</sup>s side.
4. Locate the crimped end of the wiper and insert small flat head screwdriver at the end of the flat silver retainer rod, proceed to push the metal rod back into the wiper (towards center of wiper).
5. Once the end of the retainer rod is clear of the crimped end of the wiper push it back till it is extended just beyond the 2nd track.
6. Invert the wiper and push the other silver retaining rod back to match the first one on the other side.
7. Use a razor or knife and cut the wiper insert in the open area where the retaining rods once were.
8. Use pliers to tug out the crimped section of wiper insert
9. Slide the retaining rods and remaining wiper insert out towards the end of the wiper that was crimped.
10. Remove retaining rods from insert and throw out old insert
11. Insert retaining rods notches facing outwards into the new 1J0 rubber, mirroring how they came out of the old insert.
12. Now orient the wiper with the former rubber side facing up at you.
13. With retaining rods inserted into the wiper rubber guide the new insert NOTCHES FIRST into the NON-crimped end towards the crimped end. Make sure the tracks are holding two rubber layers of the wiper insert on both sides just like your other wiper, which you are using for reference. A desk or counter makes this easier as the assembly will start out at over a meter/yard long and will need support to be assembled correctly.
14. With the new insert and retaining rods all the way to the crimped end but not IN the crimped end use a small screwdriver and open the crimped end up just far enough to get the rubber and retaining rods into the track which was crimped on the old insert.
15. Check and make sure the new insert is aligned correctly inside the tracks like the other wiper that you took off. You want some excess material at either end of the retainer rods so the rods wont touch your expensive windshield and scratch it.
16. If your notches are aligned with some extra material beyond the crimp track go ahead and crimp them lightly so the notches are snagged on the track.
17. Once the insert is completely in the wiper and all of the tracks are holding the insert correctly (yes it�<sup>TM</sup>s a tight fit) use the razor to cut off the excess rubber from the non-crimped end. Leave between a quarter and half inch of rubber to prevent the wiper from scratching anything.
18. If it looks just like the other wiper that you took off then you are good to go. Now repeat the procedure for the other wiper.

I've done this at least 100 times now and it takes maybe 5 mins to do a pair.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

awesome, thanks! bookmarked