A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

just dropped off my car at audi santa monica, regarding the radio button area is peeling. the servi

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just dropped off my car at audi santa monica, regarding the radio button area is peeling. the servi

ce adviser said that audi's manufacturer's warranty does not cover workmanship/cosmetic issues. i find this odd as other auto makers have replaced worn out leather side bolsters for me on a few occasions, which i consider cosmetic/workmanship issues. if audi doesn't stand by this with their manufacturers warranty...my impression of them will definitely go down as i assume even more economical auto makers have interiors that last longer then 29k before they start to wear down?
Old 07-02-2007, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The original Factory warranty is bumper to bumper coverage.

The claim that Audi does not cover "workmanship" or "appearance" defects is false. Have the dealership show you in writing in the warranty documentation that is included with the owners manual that came with the car, where is says that the warranty does not cover workmanship or appearance defects. BTW, it is not normal "wear and tear" for the control surfaces to peal either.

Think about it... what is the warranty for if not for workmanship or other defects? The statement by the dealer is absurd.

Insist that any warranty refusals be supported by the established warranty document applicable for YOUR model year Audi, as documented in the written warranty statement of inclusions and limitations of coverage. Do not accept any verbal warranty refusals.

(Email me if you need to replace the radio, I have one in perfect condition, for cheap.)
Old 07-02-2007, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 91 Posts

Find another dealer. Some will replace them and some won't.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default some dealers are willing to go to bat for you, others aren't...

i've crossed my fingers every time i've asked, but the fact is they replaced my bubbled up ESP switch (which is never even touched) once, so ever since then, anything else that peeled, i pointed that out and then they end up replacing it too. recently, at my 50k mile svc, they were kind enough to replace the peeling headlight switch and passenger power window switch. i was told that Audi no longer covers peeling switches, but they did it out of kindness...whatever it's an obvious product defect! i know the B7 window switches are made of different material that shouldn't have this problem, although i don't know if ALL the switches are improved. fortunately, i have steering wheel audio controls so i haven't had a need to touch the stereo much, otherwise i would fear that it too would start peeling with excessive use.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:31 PM

Default that's exactly how i feel, i have an 00 a6 and the radio has no peeling surfaces as the material is

plastic granted there's nothing to peel but it works and no defects in the long run, i just think they didn't test the material out before they used it and because of that they should stand behind the workmanship of there product.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Yeah, the "no longer covers" clause, is only applicable for later model years. ...

and does not also retroactivly apply to model years prior to the warranty limitations documented for later model year cars.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default your dealer sucks

I know for a fact that some dealers will replace the entire radio for peeling buttons.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:17 PM

i'll give you an update after talking with the service manager.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:07 PM

Default Re: i'll give you an update after talking with the service manager.

As I mentioned in another thread, the ESP button seems to be the only one Audi recognizes as a defect, since it peels with no (or little) use.