A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Just a PSA for anyone who needs replacement keys

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just a PSA for anyone who needs replacement keys

I posted a while back that I lost my spare key. Dealer wanted to charge me $250 for replacement. I went on eBay hoping to find a blank key and remote in order to save some $$$. Anyways, bought blank key and fob from Autokeystore.com and was happy with their service and the key was in mint condition.

I called the dealer up and told them that I have a blank and just need it cut and reprogrammed for the immobilizer. They told me that they wouldn't cut it for me and that they will only order it from the factory. So I've got a blank key that's useless.

My mistake: I didn't check with the stealer beforehand to see if they will cut and reprogram a blank key.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default take it to a locksmith...I had an old double sided key for my B5 cut by a lock guy.

it worked fine.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:15 PM

Default but the locksmith can't program the immobilizer chip right? the key will unlock the doors but will

it start the car?
Old 03-01-2006, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think the RF ID is stored in the ECU, thus you need to program the ECU to accept your remote's

RF ID. Nothing should be needed for the key, in terms of the immobilizer. You'll need vag-com or tell the dealer to resync your new key to the car.

I always thought the reporgramming technique resync'd the key to the car's ECU, but I could be wrong.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:13 PM

Default I thought that our keys are cut by lasers

which means a normal locksmith will have some hard time to duplicate?
Old 03-02-2006, 01:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I don't know where this came from, but a lot of people think it...

The keys are cut by a machine called a "side cutter." They are pricey pieces of equipment, so a lot of locksmiths don't have them.

1) Yes, you can buy an eBay blank and have it cut to work with your car.

2) Yes, you can buy a replacement switchblade module from eBay and install the freshly-cut blank in the switchblade so that it looks and (almost) works with your car. Make sure you get the EXACT same number switchblade from eBay.

3) The catch -- VW/Audi changedtheir systems last year to a new "GEKO" system where they connect your car back to the motherland... even the techs can't see the key codes anymore. This step is required to be done at the dealer. However, if you find a sympathetic dealer, it shouldn't cost more than $60. Just tell them that for some reason your key stopped working...

Keys can be a big pain in the *** now. I'm looking for a B6 right now and one of the main questions is "Do you have both switchblade keys?"
Old 03-02-2006, 03:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

try another dealer.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What reason do they give as to why they are refusing cut the ebay blank key?...

They are refusing to support the routine need for a spare key? If they can charge for the labour to cut a blank, why would the care ware you got it? I would be interested in AoA's position on your being refused Audi service that you need and are entitled to receive on demand. After sale dealer service is part of the purchase of the car.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default There's a guy from the UK on eBay who will cut keys accd'g to pic of existing key.

He sent me a cut blade, which I have yet to mount on a fob. But the cut looks pretty darned accurate. He also gave me the code for my specific cut, for future reference.

My next request, once I get that blade mounted on the fob and verify that it works, will be to ask if he does valet/spare keys, too. My car just came with two full-function fobs, and my girlfriend lost one of them. (Yeah, a potentially expensive "oops.")

So far, as far as getting a reasonably-priced blade copy, this was the best option I saw. (Then again, I also didn't call any local locksmiths, either.)

Best of luck...
Old 03-02-2006, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

"Laser-cut keys"...aren't.

Quick Reply: Just a PSA for anyone who needs replacement keys