A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Koni Coilover Kit Install and Review..... (Long)

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2003, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: some questions....koni makes bad c/o, i m considering koni yellow for staying in stock class

Koni makes great performing shocks...
I have no problem recommending just the shocks, but nothing else.

Don't bother with the adjustable part, because you can't. drilling holes etc won't help either. All you can do is take them off. The 'adjustment' part is a complete waste of time, at least for the Audi fitment.
Old 05-25-2003, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thats a bummer... my H&R c/o kit rides incredible...

smoother than stock... it does have the typical coilover jounce, but very damped. Seems there is miniscule, if any body roll or brake dive.

I did have that whole rear perch mixup, but now with the correct perches in place, I really enjoy the kit in my 3.0.

Curious what your fenders measure rim lip to ground. My H&Rs run on 19's... 25.25" rear and 25.375" front.
Old 05-26-2003, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Its not the ride....

The ride is fine. Its just (as a racer) I was expecting a racing kit, not a lame street kit. BTW, there is no such thing as 'typical coilover jounce'. You might be hitting your bump stops or have it set too stiff. If you are way low, you need to cut down the bumpstops so you don't constantly 'jounce' into them...

On mine, The fronts are 25 and the rears are 24 1/2. I need to go to about 25 1/4 in front and 25 in the back (so it wont rub when I'm thrashing it), but I'm too tired to take the rears all apart again to get at the stupid adjusters...

BTW, I'm pretty certain my springs ARE the H&R springs -same look, color, paint etc.(Koni does not make springs), and they are definately second class to Eibachs. I should have looked at the kit before buying it! The very fact that it doesn't use race springs should have tipped me off.
Old 05-26-2003, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

That's why I sold my H&Rs, it is an excellent street kit but I want something more race.
Old 05-26-2003, 05:01 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Sounds like you needed to do a little more homework before buying?

For the B5 A4, Koni priced the kits at $899. A bargain basement price, and you basically get what you paid for. Soft springs, no frills shocks, etc.

Very few Koni shocks offer double adjustable valving, and those that do are rather expensive. Virtually all Koni shocks for the B5's that I've seen require disassembly before adjusting the rebound, and height adjustments are typically a PITA.

I don't know anything about the B6 applications, but most of your complaints are familiar...indicating to me that a little more homework might have prevented this let down. Seems like their offerings for the B6 are very similar to their offerings for the B5.
Old 05-26-2003, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks mom..

Actually,

A friend is the Koni rep here in the US. The box shows all the good stuff in the picture, and with their rep, and my friend saying it was good stuff (and he ought to know - he races with me too) It didn't even occur to me to check... My guess is that he didn't either!

He is in europe on a business trip, but when he returns, I'll certainly give hime the scoop and see what he thinks.

I was expecting this to be race parts, not junk street stuff.
Old 05-26-2003, 06:38 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default If you want something better...give Stasis a call.

I'm not sure where they are in their development of the B6 kits (I believe they are close to releasing something), but on the whole, their quality is top notch. For the B5's, they include a customer CNC'd upper spring perch, hyperco springs all around (selected per customer's specs), and custom valved Koni's with a "wideband" rebound adjustment (rebound adjustment affects lower piston speeds than it would on a standard Koni shock). The shocks are cad plated...which have withstood a nasty NE winter, but there are a few little screws they have provided that I've discovered are NOT weatherproof.

For externally double adjustable kits, you have to step up to the motorsports kit, but it may be a while longer before this becomes available for the B6.
Old 05-27-2003, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I actually thought I was getting the motorsport kit...

live and learn..
Old 05-27-2003, 07:22 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default This one?...

You can't buy this kit from Koni NA. You can only buy it from www.stasisengineering.com or one of their very few dealers (achtuning and matrix engineering come to mind).<ul><li><a href="http://www.stasisengineering.com/suspension.shtml">http://www.stasisengineering.com/suspension.shtml</a</li></ul>
Old 05-27-2003, 08:16 PM

Default I have Koni yellows with Eibach Pro Kit

Astonishingly flat cornering; good ride in the city; a bit too much rebound on the highway or over undulating roads--a function of the stiffness setting, which is about half way. Unfortunately, the shocks have to be removed to be adjusted. I was concerned about getting rid of the floatiness of the stock set-up and sure accomplished that (kidney belts at the ready)!! The cornering and handling is so good that I *almost* hesitate to soften the shocks, but then the daily reality of driving on frost-heaved under-maintained roads sets in. I would say about 1/4 of the way up from full soft would be perfect. Will get around to it some day.

P.S. the coldest winter in 100 years here in Toronto and I had zero issues with extra stiffness over the winter. In fact, I sometimes felt like they were air shocks (colder air more condensed, less stiffness) as the ride was softer than I remembered from warmer days when driving during severe cold.

Quick Reply: Koni Coilover Kit Install and Review..... (Long)