A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Letter from AoA today: Subject: Upcoming Voluntary Emissions Service Action 28F2/J1

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 12:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Letter from AoA today: Subject: Upcoming Voluntary Emissions Service Action 28F2/J1

Apparently there is some issues with the Ignition Coil Packs (again) and they are they are concerned that (among other things) the vehicle won't pass the State Emissions tests. Supposedly the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) will illuminate informing me of the problem.

So I have to wait for another letter from them to let me know when I can take my car in for replacement of the Coil Packs (parts and labor is on Audi). Also if I've already had them replaced by the Service Dept they have another form included in the letter for reimbursement.

I haven't had any issues (yet) but have been off the boards for awhile. Has anyone else gotten this letter?

The holiday season is just about upon us and I have to make my pilgrimage home (340 mi each way). Don't won't to get stuck.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Roch_Ultrasport
Apparently there is some issues with the Ignition Coil Packs (again) and they are they are concerned that (among other things) the vehicle won't pass the State Emissions tests. Supposedly the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) will illuminate informing me of the problem.

So I have to wait for another letter from them to let me know when I can take my car in for replacement of the Coil Packs (parts and labor is on Audi). Also if I've already had them replaced by the Service Dept they have another form included in the letter for reimbursement.

I haven't had any issues (yet) but have been off the boards for awhile. Has anyone else gotten this letter?

The holiday season is just about upon us and I have to make my pilgrimage home (340 mi each way). Don't won't to get stuck.
I just received my letter too.

I have probably replaced 4 or 5 ignition coils in the two years of owning the car. The R coils are going strong though.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm surprised. I thought the coil problem was with the B5/early B6's and was taken care of.
Old 11-07-2009, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 295 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Roch_Ultrasport
I'm surprised. I thought the coil problem was with the B5/early B6's and was taken care of.
http://www.audiusa.com/us/brand/en/o..._vehicles.html

Check your vehicle here
Old 11-07-2009, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Okay, that link tells me what the letter said. I was just saying I remember a similar issue back when I was first thinking about buying the car (2005) and heard it was taken care of.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

If you got the letter I did about a week ago , you can swap them now: which i did this week
Old 11-09-2009, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

I swapped out all my coils this summer when one failed once again. Fortunately or unfortunately, I didn't get them from Audi. I guess I'm probably SOL, however I did save the old coils, thoughts?
Old 11-10-2009, 12:17 PM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Originally Posted by AudiCO
I swapped out all my coils this summer when one failed once again. Fortunately or unfortunately, I didn't get them from Audi. I guess I'm probably SOL, however I did save the old coils, thoughts?
If you have a receipt or proof of purchase you can get reimbursed.
Phone: 1.800.924.5172 - Sales: 8:30am to MIDNIGHT EST | Customer Service 8:30am - 8pm EST
Questions? PM us for a quick response! | Email: Pete@ecstuning.com
Old 11-10-2009, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ECS Tuning - Sales
If you have a receipt or proof of purchase you can get reimbursed.
I'll be surprised if the reimburse me since I didn't buy them from Audi. In fact, I bought them from you guys, so if I can't find an invoice in my email I'll be contacting you. I have to stop by the dealer anyway to pick up some hardware so I'll see what they say.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Coil Replacements

I got the same letter. I had to replace all my coils this Summer. Will seek reimbursement for parts.

Anyone have knowledge as to what are the "underlying conditions" referred to in the letter as the cause of the coil failures?

I know when mine went out the bad fuel/air mixture almost fried my Cat Converter. Watching it to see if it needs replacement before 80K.

Thanks, John

Quick Reply: Letter from AoA today: Subject: Upcoming Voluntary Emissions Service Action 28F2/J1