A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Looking to Get an '05 Audi A4 3.0L w/125k miles - Need Feedback Please

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to Get an '05 Audi A4 3.0L w/125k miles - Need Feedback Please

I'm looking at an '05 Audi A4 3.0L Quattro S-line, 6-speed, with around 125k miles. I've never owned an Audi, nor owned a car with over 100k miles, but I've always wanted to add an Audi to my owned car list, and I don't want car payments so I'm going used with higher miles (but focusing on cars that have had major services completed, so they're up to date). I've done ALOT of research on Audi's over the past month, getting to know the ins and outs, ups and downs, and since I'm going to see this A4 in a couple of days, I wanted to get some feedback from A4 owners, mainly on reliability. The owner seems to have taken great care of it, and has had it serviced with major and minor replacement parts (serviced at Audi, under a warranty, haven't asked through who), which is the main reason why I'm seriously considering buying this car; though I need to see maintenance records of all repairs, or I won't buy.

Maintenance:
After 75k miles - Timing belt replaced, Differential serviced, Transmission serviced. Recently - New Continental tires, new catback exhaust, new power steering pump, new rear brakes and rotors
Other key notes:
Owner says "All services are up to date." Oil changes on time with synthetic. Clear title, no accidents, no blemishes, minor paint chips on front bumper; interior near perfect. Almost a year left on the extended warranty.

I'm hesitant because, like I said earlier, I've never owned an Audi, and I've never owned a car with over 100k miles. But, the car sounds great, and I'm looking forward to seeing it (and may very well buy it if all seems good!) But any thoughts or opinions on whether this would be a smart investment or not would be greatly appreciated. It's priced around $10k.

Thanks
John
Old 08-06-2013, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

My thoughts are don't be afraid to buy an Audi with 100K miles if you have all the maintenance / repair records. DOn't just go by a Carfax. It is a good source of info, but shouldn't be the only one. I had one that was well mainted with 211K when it was wrekced because someone backed into it. I purchased another one a year ago with 103K with full records; I even called the previous owner much to his surprise. I also have a Mercedes with 240K owned since 17K miles. German engineering is very good as long as you maintain per the book including using recommended Audi / Benz fluids for everything (oil, coolant, power steering, brake fluid, gearboxes, diffs, etc). Most of the Audis that are basket cases have probably not been taken care of.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Oh, and get an independent mechanic to look at it...
Old 08-06-2013, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by lyleswk
My thoughts are don't be afraid to buy an Audi with 100K miles if you have all the maintenance / repair records. DOn't just go by a Carfax. It is a good source of info, but shouldn't be the only one. I had one that was well mainted with 211K when it was wrekced because someone backed into it. I purchased another one a year ago with 103K with full records; I even called the previous owner much to his surprise. I also have a Mercedes with 240K owned since 17K miles. German engineering is very good as long as you maintain per the book including using recommended Audi / Benz fluids for everything (oil, coolant, power steering, brake fluid, gearboxes, diffs, etc). Most of the Audis that are basket cases have probably not been taken care of.
Thanks for the advice. My main concern lies with replacing the timing belt. I've been told the engine does not need to be pulled to replace it, and was quoted around $2800 for the cost of the job by an Audi dealership. Pricey I must say, though I was also looking at a 3.2L but they quoted me $7-8k to replace the timing chain and components if it needed to happen. That really dissuades me from buying that one, though people say the chain and components usually don't have to be replaced, so I don't know what to do at this point.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My advice: stay away from the 3.0L.

Why? Let's just say that this isn't a piece of engineering that you will ever see in Audi's hall of fame. Ours has 155K miles on the odometer now, but that did not come without issues. The timing belt has failed twice - once because the cam gear retaining bolts backed out and caught the front cover of the engine. The other time because of a seized water pump. These issues started at 35K miles, long before any preventative maintenance could intervene. These issues both required new valves and heads among other things. Mucho $$$, but the car is junk unless you fix it....

Changing the timing belt requires removing the front clip and radiator...last time we were able to shop around and get it done for $1700.

At 155K miles our engine is used up. It burns a quart of oil every 800 miles or so and this oil consumption has burned out the cats - for which there are no aftermarket parts available. The price for 2 cats from Audi - $2400.

The additional torque of the 3.0 is not worth the headaches. Get an '05 or newer with the 2.0T. Ideally get an '09 as I believe the HP and TQ numbers were improved that year. As for concerns about the 3.2L timing chain, unless you are planning on driving the engine over 300K miles you will never have to worry about it. If it is anything like my 3.0 it will not even make it that long until it needs new rings. The 2.0T is very reliable and aftermarket parts are plentiful. Stay away from 3.0.