A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Loss of Boost (Random!) possible bypass valve ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loss of Boost (Random!) possible bypass valve ?

I have APR stage 2+, APR exhaust, high flow cat, k&n filter, Forge Racing Diverter valve. I noticed that from a dead stop, sometimes I can really feel the turbo kick in at approx. 3k rpms in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear but there are times that I don't hear the turbo kick in (or should I say the bypass valve whistle). I've read that most people have the Forge 007 and not the DVR valve (DVR allows you to swap different springs and is diaphram not piston, which forge says is faster)

Does this symptom sound like the bypass valve is not functioning properly ?

Or could it be a symptom of drive by wire ?

Would the vag software show where this problem may be comming from ?

I do have an appt. with the place I bought the bypass valve and they are going to check it out via a boost gauge .... will this help ???

I really would like the neck snaping affect (usually happens at 3/4 throttle) every time I get on the throttle and not every so often. Is this too much to ask ?
Old 05-21-2003, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default interesting...

I guess you could probably pinpoint the issue with VAG - the VAG experts will hopefully chime in here and let you know what to look for. If not, post it on the VAG forum.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to open up that BPV and see if the diaphragm is still in one piece. Also, the DVR comes with three different springs. Do you know which one you're running right now. You may need a stiffer spring.
Old 05-21-2003, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Loss of Boost (Random!) possible bypass valve ?

Turbo spools at about 3k. My dv whistles when I hit .6 bar or more and let off the throttle. If you have a boost guage, you can tell if you're leaking boost or not.
Old 05-21-2003, 05:47 PM

Default Re: interesting. (using blue spring)

The tech initially put in the green spring, but said that it was blowing off too early, so he went with the red spring. I contacted Forge via e-mail and they said that I shouldn't use the red based on all my specs so they switched to the blue spring.

green = normal spring
blue = stronger spring
red = very strong spring

It sure did seem that using the red spring didn't blow off to early, but I'm assuming that it might not be good for the turbo ? I think forge said that they are currently not shipping it with the red spring anymore....