A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Made it to Baghdad! (detailed)

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 10:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Made it to Baghdad! (detailed)

Well to start off, after about 5 days of travel I finally made it to Baghdad, Iraq. I traveled from Seattle to Dallas, to Baltimore, to Azores, to Frankfurt, to Kuwait and now Baghdad. Last night was the first night that I was able to sleep a complete 6hrs in a row.

We slept under the stars our 1st night in Baghdad International Airport. We arrived at around 3am after a venturous flight on a C130 from Kuwait. Need less to say I almost regurgitated my whopper from Kuwait BK on the flight. You see, we flew in completely blacked out, that means no lights on at all on the aircraft and evasive maneuvers were being conducted for obvious reasons (high pucker factor). Our company picked us up that morning at around 9am and we drove through baghdad and the "Green Zone" and then to our camp which is about 40min SE of Baghdad international.

Our camps name is Cuervo, named after a fallen soldier. This camp used to be an Iraqi Officer training base. We bombed the heck out of it and now are rebuilding it little by little. The living conditions are what we consider in the states condemned slums but to us soldiers is not so bad. We a place to lay our heads and AC, which is must in this heat. We have trailers for showers and porta potties to take care of business. We also have a base exchange and a nice dinning facility.

Mortar attacks here is a daily thing. Usually done at night but scattered though out the day they only fire a few at a time and never hit anything. At first I was a little concerned but I have already been through a few and its not really a big deal at all. Everyone here is armed and I keep my 9 mil and M4 rifle and grenade with me at all times. They will be my sleeping buddies for the next 9 months or so.

There is free interned service when you can get to it. So this will be my main mode of communication here as well. I will be working 12+hr days at least 6 days a week so if you don't hear from me regularly then you know why.

That's about all I have for know, Know that you are in my thoughts and I pray for you as I know you do for me.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

We're glad to hear you're on the ground and doing all right. Stay safe over there.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:45 PM

what is your MOS? and Branch?
Old 04-29-2004, 10:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default glad you made it there ok

a big thanks from us for what you're doing. stay safe and god bless.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the update... take care.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I really admire you...

thank you very much for putting your life on the line for our freedoms.

your post was the most interesting I have read on AW in a LONG time.

can't wait to hear more of your stories
Old 04-29-2004, 11:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

31B30, Military Police, US Army
Old 04-29-2004, 11:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default word, god speed , my friend is going back in a month half

he only came back 3 months ago, he sighned up asp to go back beacuse he sees fathers going to war, he sees if **** happens to himself, he doesn't have kids and a wife to bare the burden, oh he is in a transportation unit. oh and watch out for camel spiders, there like the creatures from aliens, the face huggers
Old 04-29-2004, 11:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default kind of funny...you travel so far and you come back to the fourms =p

gl and best of wishes
Old 04-29-2004, 11:04 PM

Thank you for having the ***** to go,

Quick Reply: Made it to Baghdad! (detailed)