A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

MAJOR A4 OIL SLUDGE PROBLEMS NEED HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: The craftsmanship of the engine is not the peroblem.It's Audi choice to risk **** API oil and sa

No I had a Volvo before that.
If AUdi risked crappy API oil, and as a result, I used the same crappy API oil with my mechanic, isn't it hypocrisy to not cover me aswell? Regardless, I would still have the same problem had I gone to Audi as they would have used the same oil. Moreover, thats not the point. Audi is covering people that go to a repair facility. My problem is that I went to a private mechanic and not a "facility"

That is the most craziest stipulation.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:30 PM

Default Re: AHHH, you are confusing me....

sorry about the confusion. WHen the car was under warranty, I went to AUdi. As soon as the warranty expired, I went to other garages and my mechanic.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

True, dealer uses the same ****ty oil. Some ARE worse though, maybe your guy cheaped-out.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:40 PM

Default ok, that makes it all clear now....

and very simple for that matter. If all your work was done by Audi under warranty and you can show that oil changes were done every 5k or 6 month after the warranty expired they should cover you under the extended warranty. The oil sludge has nothing to do with who changed the oil. If all the above is true, they have to cover you. Have your lawyer give them a call and I am almost certain they will change their mind.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:41 PM

Default Re: True, dealer uses the same ****ty oil. Some ARE worse though, maybe your guy cheaped-out.

I think we're just going in circles. It is CLEAR that Audi has an oil sludge problem. It comes as result of crappy oil or poor engine manufacturing. Regardless, Audi has sent out a notice to ammend for these errors. The question isnt about how crappy is too crappy of an oil. Many garages also use oil that is crappier than Audi (despite Audi openly admits they crapped out) The crux lies in that they choose to cover people that went to a facility and not a private mechanic. They dont ask me what type of oil I used. They ask if I went to a facility. That is where the problem is.
Someone could have used the best filter and oil and had the oil change performed by a mechanic and HAD they had the same oil sludge problem, they would NOT be covered. I'm not saying I did, but had I used the BEST material out there, I would STILL not be covered.

The problem I think lays more in my milage. I have nearly 150 000 Kms on it. I happened to experience the oil sludge probblem sooner because I drive more. Not because I used a private mechanic.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:47 PM

Default Re: ok, that makes it all clear now....

yeah that's what I thought...
thanks, I needed a little confidence builder.
It's jsut been so frustrating because Audi has been VERY difficult.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My point is that if you *used* the best materials, there would be no need for coverage.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:53 PM

Default Re: My point is that if you *used* the best materials, there would be no need for coverage.

I understand what you are saying. But hindsight is 20/20. Audi is also learning the same problem. If they *used* the best mnaterials or told the consumer to *use* the best materials, then NOBODY would be having this problem.
That is why they are offering an extended warranty.

My concern is that they didnt tell everyone to *use* the best material and now are only making arbitrary decisions to cover people who has this problem.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default oil light was probably on because your oil pickup tube was clogged

if so adding more oil wasnt going to help... thats like putting more water in a cup that you are drinking with a straw... but the straw is clogged..... you're not getting hydrated any faster just becuase there is more water in the cup.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default consumers dont want to buy cars that require $100 oil changes 4 times a year

they want free oil changes twice a year because its cheaper and easier to schedule.

Synthetic oil costs 4x as much as decent dino oil and 8x as much as garbage dino oil.

If you had a sludge problem it could have been avoided by using synthetic oil and oem filters. I dont know anybody that is having oil sludge problems abiding by that regiment.

The 1.8T is a superb engine... very strong and durable... however when you cut off it's oil supply it dies like all other engines do.

Quick Reply: MAJOR A4 OIL SLUDGE PROBLEMS NEED HELP!!