A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Managed to remove swirls from BB. Notes inside

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2003, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Managed to remove swirls from BB. Notes inside

Following my previous complaint on swirl marks, I polished my BB with Mothers's scratch remover. For this particular paint, this has worked better than the "Scratch-X". Firstly Mother's product dries completely to a white deposit, and after buffing doesn't leave any greasy residue on paint as Meguiar's does (usually the smear is completely removed only after a thorough wash up). Secondly, It seemed to me before as if Scratch-X introduced new marks to the paint. This didn't happen with Mother's.

The remaining problem was waxing the paint following the polish. Last time I used Meguiar's Gold Class. Result was mere average. This time, I used Audi's own brand of Balm wax. Like Mother's polish, Audi wax dried completely to a white powder, and was removed much easier than the "Gold Class". The result is really pleasing. Believe it or not, there are no swirl marks on my paint any more. After 7 months of ownership, I'm glad I finally conquered this problem.

Just on the hind-sight: make sure you completely remove any old wax residues or otherwise you may get some funny effect on the paint.
Old 02-03-2003, 03:50 PM

What is the best way to remove all old wax residue?
Old 02-03-2003, 03:52 PM

Dawn dissolves wax.
Old 02-03-2003, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Any soap dissolves wax... Here is my take on car wax...

Wax is essentially a 'lubricant' to polish your car. 2-3 washes, and its completely gone. Yes, it protects... but only until you wash it again.

The key to wax is to apply as thin a coat as possible, so you don't have to lean on it to remove it.

I go by how well the towel glides on the paint.

BTW, I only use Mothers wax... in combo with some 3M glaze on occasion. And yes, Meguires leaves a greasey residue... I had some gold class crap someone gave me as a gift... I since sh*t canned the stuff.

Towels... professional micro fiber from a body shop supply store.

Washing towels? Never use fabric softener sheets... they contain fibers that will scratch.
Old 02-03-2003, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I guess there could be different ways:

One is to use commercial products. Those that are recommended to clean and prepare the paint for waxing. Read the label. It should say if it cleans old wax off the paint.

Also a good polish is supposed to remove the wax. That's why they always recommend to wax after polishing.

I've heard washing the car for a couple of times with a strong dish washing liquid also removes the wax (I guess the pH and the type of sud in the washing liquid are the elements here). I have done this before and it seems to work. I did this the first time before polishing (just to be sure).

The other way could be wiping the paint with solvents.
Old 02-03-2003, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Wax is supposed to stay if you wash with the compatible wash liquid. UV, though, breaks it down.
Old 02-03-2003, 04:01 PM

those micro fiber towels are good, but very small (i have 3) a good cotten towel works better.
Old 02-03-2003, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I wash waxing towels at 95 C; thorough rinse; tumble dry.
Old 02-03-2003, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I use Mothers car wash... and it takes it off...

again... I go by the way the towel 'glides' on the surface. If it starts to feel like it drags, then I do another thin coat.

Plus that water here is real hard. Its hard to polish out the car after you dry it. The solution is simply a super thin coat after the rough drying.
Old 02-03-2003, 04:03 PM

i wash ALL my towels and applicators in hot water. and tumble dry

Quick Reply: Managed to remove swirls from BB. Notes inside