A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Memory Seat Position and Key

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2002, 11:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Memory Seat Position and Key

I had programed my car to go to memory position 1 when I unlock it. However, this no longer works. It stopped working when I got my dealer to program the convenience unlock via remote feature (open/close all windows).

Anyone else notice this?
Old 02-13-2002, 01:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Memory Seat Position and Key

I programmed my remote convenience features with my VAG-COM, and my seat memory via remote still works. It is confusing in the manual about how this works though.
When I first read it, I thought it was saying that when you hold down memory button 1 and the remote unlock button at the same time for a second, that memory button gets associated with the key and the two will always stay synchronized. This is NOT the case.

What the manual is really trying to describe is that from the start, the car stores the seat positions for both remotes. When you lock the car with a particular remote, the seat position is remembered for that key. When you next unlock the car with that same remote, the seat will be moved to the last position it was in when that remote locked the car. If you hold down a memory button and the unlock button at the same time as described in the manual, it just "copies" the seat position stored in that memory button to the key's seat position memory, and overrides whatever it had. But if you say, go and store a different position in memory 1 that is different than the seat position when you lock the car with the remote, the two will again be different.

It sounds confusing, but it makes sense once you play with it a bit. I tested things with both remotes, and the seat did go back and forth according to the remote.
Old 02-13-2002, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

THe A4 I drove didn't have power or memory seats...is this available on the 1.8T?
Old 02-13-2002, 03:43 PM

Nope. :-(
Old 02-13-2002, 06:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default mine's definetley not working

dammit. Is it possible that the dealer messed this up, or somehow turned this off when programming my car?
Old 02-13-2002, 06:22 PM

Default Re: mine's definetley not working

Well, the seat memory is a separate module from the convenience module, if I'm not mistaken. Sounds like you'll have to go back to your dealer.
Old 02-14-2002, 01:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default which of the two settings takes precedence

Follow-up question.

So when you copy a memory seat position to the Key, what happens when you unlock the car and it's not in the position that was stored? Does it:

1) Go to the position that the seat was in when you locked the car
2) Go to the stored position.

Also, when you copy the position to the key do you hear a clicking sound or something? When I copy it all my windows open up cause of the feature coded into my car.

Finally, it seems that my right mirror never honors the position in the Key and only moves if I use one of the memory buttons.

Thanks,

Omar
Old 02-14-2002, 01:56 PM

Default Re: which of the two settings takes precedence

Ok,
Like I said, I have the convenience features programmed for the windows up/down as well. However, this should not be an issue when copying to the remote, because as it says in the manual, you only need to press the memory button and unlock button for about one second - not long enough for the windows to start going down.

I've heard the clicking sound when I store a seat position in memory, but I don't recall if I heard it when I copy to the key, as I haven't done that for a while (I don't really find it necessary).

If you unlock the car with the remote and the seat is not in the stored position, it returns to the position it was in when you locked the car with that key. I.e. If someone with the other key got in the car and moved the seat to their position or whatever.

As far as the mirrors, I was having that problem with them not being stored with the key for a while, but it seems to have fixed itself - I'll have to play with it more and see if this is true.

In general, if I move my seat, I only store it in the memory button on the door - I do not then copy it to the key. When I lock the doors, the position of the seat will be stored for that key anyway. Maybe this will help your situation?

I'm going to go down to the car and play with it now - I'll let you know what I find. If you reread the manual, it may clear some of your questions up as well.
Old 02-14-2002, 03:16 PM

Default Re: which of the two settings takes precedence

I just tested the seat memory with both remotes, and the mirrors did move correctly. But, like I said before, at first they weren't. It may be something I did as far as the way I was storing the seat position in the key (i.e. not copying from the memory buttons).
Old 02-14-2002, 04:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default thanks for checking, but what is the point of copying then?

thanks for all the help ;-)

if the car stores the last position in memory when you lock the car, why bother copying it? It seems to go back to whatever position the seat/mirros were in when you unlock the car.

This whole thing is bizarre and it has my dealer really confused. I called Audi and they don't understand it either.

I just spent 30 minutes in my car with both remotes. When I unlock the car using the different remotes, they go back to the position they were last in (with the exception of the right mirror). However, if I copy a seat position to any key, then move the seat and lock the car, and then unlock the car with the same key it does not go back to it's copied position. Which makes me wonder what the point of copying is.

Quick Reply: Memory Seat Position and Key