A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Michelin Pilot Sport 17" AS

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 06:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Michelin Pilot Sport 17" AS

Here's one for you guys. I just bought a brand new 03 A4 3.0 quattro with Pirelli P6 tires. They had flat spots on them and I have to have the dealer replace them. They ordered the same tire for me and when they came in told me they were bad as well. They are now going to put the Michelin Pilot Sport AS on them for me. Has anyone out there used these tires? How do they perform? I have had a nightmare experience with my dealer here in MA. When I had the car delivered it was not even prepped correctly. The dash was filthy and all the glue from the sticker was still on the glove compartment. I would reccomend not buying a car from Wagner Motors.
Old 12-30-2003, 06:35 AM

Check out Tirerack.com for reviews of that tire.
Old 12-30-2003, 07:00 AM

Default I have Michelin Pilot Sport 225/40/18

I put them on about a month ago and I love them. Very good handling, very good in the rain. They are quite soft and warm up very easily
Old 12-30-2003, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have the Pilot Sports in 225/45/17s, great in the dry, not as good as the Dunlop 9090s in the rain

I'm guessing their A/S might be better. I was thinking about going with their A/S tread as replacements, but I'm not so sure anymore.
Old 12-30-2003, 07:50 AM

Default simply put, there is no better tire for all season....

i have them on my wife's 2001 325. Being rear drive, and having been through plenty of snows, I truly believe it is the tires that get us where we need to go in several inches. The tires on before, Michelin Energy, didn't do ANYTHING, it seemed.

They wear better than any other tire I have owned in my life. As a driver who drives more than 55K a year (routinely), I have had some experience with several brands to compare.

I loved them so much, I got the Pilot Sport AS for my 18 inch RS4's.

Wife's car got the tires at 30K. She is now at 75K miles and they dont look worn at all. Maybe its the BMW suspension, etc, but they wear extremely well, and provide great traction in dry and wet.

They are practically the most expensive tire for all season, but deservedly so. And well worth it.

You can get a tire half the price, but it will also go half the miles. Save yourself the time and get them now. It'll save you an extra trip to the tire place.

You say your dealer is getting those for you....>FEEl LUCKY.
Old 12-30-2003, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Kick *** tire!!!

I love them
Old 12-30-2003, 08:43 AM

Default The Sport Pilot A/S is a good all around tire, just expensive.

I had them on my B5 S4 for about 10,000 miles and found them to wear well. High performance tires were rapidly, 25,000 miles out of first set of tires. Wet road traction was excellent, snow was good, and dry was good, but a little more noisey. If not for the price I would replace Conti-2 on my S4 with the Pilot A/S.
Old 12-30-2003, 09:33 AM
MP
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default EXACT SAME circumstance, but my dealer did the right thing...

I purchased my car at Bernardi in Natick, MA.

Everyone in the Serv Dept acknowledged the problem with the P6, and indicated that there have been lots of recent quality problems with Pirelli (btw, I think Pirelli makes some great products - but apparently the P6 is not one of them).

Anyway, after several attempts to rebalance my wheels/tires using the road-force balancing machine, Bernardi could not completely eliminate the vibrations coming from the defective tires. They replaced the tires with a complete set of 5 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires (inc the spare) at N/C.

The Serv Mgr indicated that they would have to deal with AoA's regional serv mgr later - apparently AoA is trying to contain costs, which is why dealers hesitate to immediately make good on certain problems.

I'd say there's a small chance that Wagner will act on their own, but if you insist to speak directly with the AoA regional you might get somewhere. Be sure to play it smart - no threats or hints of retaliation via bad service reports... you want to be best buddies with your serv mgr.

Worst case scenario: Use the Pirelli warranty to get the tires replaced by a Pirelli dealer - they will pro-rate based on wear, but at least you won't be stuck with dud tires. You might get n/c replacements if you can prove that the tires were defective from delivery, but Pirelli will simply try to give you another set of P6s, which are not so hot in the first place.

Personally, I think it's criminal that AoA installs the P6 on the Sport Pack w/the all-season tire option. There are MANY other tires out there for comparable $$$ that are simply better tires. The Pilot Sport A/S is clearly at the top of the pile, but costs more. Still, there are decent Contis and Dunlops in the same price range as the P6 - and ALL of the all season tire options (save the Pilot Sports) cost less than the standard tires in the Sport Pack...

Anyway, I have about 5k miles on my Michelins now including NYC-Boston runs in the recent Nor'easters - no prob. I always used to run dedicated snows in the winter, but the Michelins are more than adequate (still not quite as good). I had over 40k on my Michelin MXM4s with less than 50% treadwear. Overall, I think Michelins are worth it.

If I were you, I'd head back to Wagner and work directly with the serv mgr. Ask to speak with the AoA regional serv. mgr. if you need to...

My uncle purchased his Allroad at Wagner - no problems.

Good luck.
Old 12-30-2003, 09:36 AM

Default Re: EXACT SAME circumstance, but my dealer did the right thing...

They are replacing them with the Michelins, it has just taken so much to get them to do it!
Old 12-30-2003, 10:02 AM
MP
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default congrats.

You will notice all around improvement with the new tires.

See you around central MA... if you're in the Worc area, check out Ernie's Touchless Carwash, my personal favorite.