A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Misfired When Cold Engine, Help, Running Out Of Ideal

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lyleswk
Tough one. Not smart enough to recommend anything else except coil packs and the wiring to them.
Agree, I never have this tough issue on my B5. I hope my theory is incorrect, may have to place order on a new set of coilpack and new MAF
Old 08-14-2010, 05:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ouch! this is an interesting problem. keep posting your findings, I will be interested to see if this is coils and Maf. Have you checked your fuel injectors? Check o -rings for leaks and look for clogged or poor firing injectors. These are smaller tedious checks but they can be the cause of you problems and they are free to do yourself....before you try coils.

Last edited by a44me2; 08-14-2010 at 05:45 AM.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Work on it over the weekend, replace the valve cover gasket, recheck all the hoses make sure no leak. Still could not find any thing that cause the cold misfire. Really frustrated.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

well, once you find it you will have the best running B6 in the country!! and some peace of mind knowing that everything has been given a once over. Fuel pressure is OK? Have you pulled the plugs to see thier condition? Any oil etc.?
Old 08-16-2010, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by a44me2
well, once you find it you will have the best running B6 in the country!! and some peace of mind knowing that everything has been given a once over. Fuel pressure is OK? Have you pulled the plugs to see thier condition? Any oil etc.?
I assume fuel pressure is OK since I just replaced the fuel filter a week ago. I pull the plug to replaced them a week ago. All the plugs were dry and white (a little lean condition I guess), no oil.

My damn VAG cable is not working (Real Ross-Tech USB, it does light up but when I plug in the car, it keep saying not plug in)

Last edited by BSCA4; 08-16-2010 at 06:21 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default I have the same problem...

2001 VW Passat Wagon 2.8L 30v...

4-5 weeks ago i replaced valve cover/cam tensioner gaskets... started misfiring so i figured i aggravated a bad wire but was nervous about the ignition coil so i replaced it and the plugs as well. Drove 1k miles over the weekend... monday the alternator failed. Replaced alternator, water pump, timing belt, rollers/idlers/dampeners/thermostat/cam seals while i was in there...

ran good for 2-3 days now im getting this cold start misfire but fine rest of day.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Just one clarifier, after you replaced the coil and wires, there was no misfire?
Old 08-20-2010, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yes... after plugs/wires/coil replacement it drove 1000 miles to NC with no hiccups...

after alternator/tbelt/wpump/termostat replacement it ran spotless for 2 days...

now it misfires... and only on cold start.

My plan atm is to buy some MAF cleaner this afternoon... maybe stop by the dealer and try to get a temp sensor as well for kicks and giggles since a lot of people on other threads recommend that... then ill review the PCV system around the back of the engine... i replaced it all last year but i took some of it apart to get to the back bleeder valve upon coolant refill.... after all that... Then ill replace the control arm that i need to replace for it to pass inspection.

Just one clarifier, after you replaced the coil and wires, there was no misfire?
Old 08-20-2010, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

I still think it is something in the spark end of things, but aren't smart enough to know what to suggest.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I still think it is something in the spark end of things, but aren't smart enough to know what to suggest.
Yes, finally good news: I order 2 coilpacks and put on cylinder 1 & 2 and this morning come out, it start right up, no CEL.
That prove my theory is wrong. But why the coilpack is bad in the 1st 15 sec only?
Anyhow, I am happy to have the car no CEL today I will order 4 more to replace the other 2 (and 2 for spare). Baster stealership when I brought the car in a few months ago, they did not change them.
Now if I can find where my coolant loss is then I will be a very happy man.

Quick Reply: Misfired When Cold Engine, Help, Running Out Of Ideal