A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

missing one record, oil sludge.. what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I kid. I kid.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Once there's an OP light, there's no hope.I see ARX more of a preventitive or after-rebuild solution

"solution"- pun intended. There is not enough flow to drive yet alone expect ARX to save the ship. It works slowly. Minimum is to do a kero flush before hand to soften the deposits. I think a Bilstein flush or BG service would be a minmum in this case. Always ARX after a cleaning or full rebuild is my point.

I figure this would be the scale...

1- ARX as maintenance

2- Half-strength ARX as treatment then the other 1/2 bottle as maintenance

3- Kero then ARX

4- Same as above with a new oil supply line

5- Bilstein or BG service

6- same as 3,4&5 plus oil pump /pan clean

7- new engine

FULL ARX after any other service short of a new engine, maybe even then.
Old 10-15-2006, 12:08 AM

Default Had a 2002 TL go thru 3 transmissions---Toyota #2 in recalls

and now sony is having problem with batteries and their TV aren't what they used to be. Japanese products are just as bad if not worse than German or American.

Personally I don't really service my car regularly because it's leased and I'm not going to keep it---otherwise why lease?
Old 10-15-2006, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Ever see this testimonial...

Not saying it's the best solution...just maybe helpful as a last resort. I do agree with your suggestion of a Bilstein or BG service beforehand, though.<ul><li><a href="http://auto-rx.com/pages/pov54.htm">http://auto-rx.com/pages/pov54.htm</a</li></ul>
Old 10-15-2006, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Almost irresponsible.Guys like us know when not to drive, Joe Blow might try that, make things worse
Old 10-16-2006, 09:44 AM

Default *update*

Alright so here's what happened since my last post. On Friday my service advisor left a message on my voicemail saying that his manager spoke to him and that they will go ahead and take a look at the engine to see if it is oil sludge. Until this point, my adviser was basically sure it was oil sludge, but I guess at this point they will try to confirm it.

Alright so Today rolls around and I get a call from AoA telling me they spoke to the service manager at the dealership and that there IS an oil sludge problem but that they cannot fix it under warranty because there is a gap of 16,000 miles in which they have no record that it has been serviced. This is Audi's "official" response to the matter.

Alright -- this isnt looking too good but I spoke to the manager at the dealer I bought the car from and he assured me that he will obtain the oil change receipts for the car so that Audi will cover it. My 30-day 50/50 warranty with the dealer expired yesterday so I'm hoping that he can find those records or else I'm going to be screwed.

On a side note, there seems to be another 'campaign' on our A4s. There's a recall to change the crankcase breather hose and that's covered completely under the warranty. I guess I will have them work on that for now until I have the records for the oil changes.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:27 AM

Default Well, there's some good news in there, I hope. On the crank case breather,

I did that change myself, but the dealer can do it easily. It's a three way hose at the back of the engine, right on top and easy to see. The replacement part is about $20. If you push on the hose and it's soft, that means it's slowly dissolving from the inside out. If you get a new one, you'll see the hose is rock hard (like the original one in your car used to be).

That recall should be separate from the sludge issue, and you should be OK. But it's a drop in the bucket compared to a new engine.

Good luck on finding that last receipt. It's nice to possibly have the dealer helping you out.