A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Morning AW: Near death experience inside.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 03:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Morning AW: Near death experience inside.

So, I'm well aware that Quattro is king, but Front Trash was enough to save my life this morning.

I drove up to the town where I go to school yesterday afternoon to move out of my apt into my new house. As you probably know, Mississippi is a very rural state. I live in the second largest city and it's 100,000 people. The town where I go to school, Oxford, MS, is 10,000, just to give you an idea of where I was.

I really needed to make it to work for at least a few hours, so I decide after cleaning my apt and upon finishing the move that I will drive back and go in for the second half of the day. This was at 1:00am. It's about a 4.5-5 hour drive. So...

10 minutes after leaving, I'm on a very dark 4-lane highway that connects Oxford to the main interstate I have to get to. I'm in the left lane because the right lane was not as newly paved and was quite bumpy. It's very hilly in North MS, and I'm on my way up a steep hill. I've got the cruise set at 71 (65mph limit). As soon as I get to the top of the hill, there is a another car going the wrong way in my lane. I honestly can't remember everything that happened: I don't even know if my foot hit the brake. I swerved hard to the right and braced for impact as there was hardly any shoulder and I assumed the car would flip. The back end got out from under me and slid into the gravel. ESP's going nuts, I just remember lots of yellow. The car rights itself (I guess I helped) and I slam on the brakes. I have to pull over to collect myself for a few minutes, and I won't lie to you, shed a few tears. Call me a *****, I don't give a FVCK! I mean I couldn't believe what happened and how close I came to an almost certainly fatal head-on collision. I'm not trying to be melodramatic, and I wouldn't write out a post this long if it weren't as serious and close as I'm describing. Honestly, when I saw the headlights, the car couldn't have been more that 10-12 yards away (the physics of that may be incorrect for the speed we were traveling, but I assure you we came within inches of one another, not feet) The force of the air rushing by was more than any semi you pass on the freeway. This is the closest I've ever come to being in an accident, and I'm still really shaken up about it.

So, as much **** as AoA gets, I am so thankful for VAG. I have no doubt that in certain lesser cars, I would have either hit this person or flipped off the side of the road. Or any SUV, forget about it. My retelling of this can in no way allow you to fully appreciate the severity of the situation, so I'll hope you'll see this long *** post as evidence that I'm not exagerrating. I haven't been able to tell anyone about it yet (it's 6:30am and I just got home, and I had to get it out). BE CAREFUL. It's the other guy you've got to watch out for.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 124 Likes on 86 Posts

Man, what a story. Glad you're all right. Thank God for ESP.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:06 AM

Default My sentiments exactly...

this is one of those posts it's hard to respond to, but like I said, I had to tell someone about. My heart was in my throat the entire ride home thinking it could happen over any hill. took me 1hr 15min longer than the trip up! I was braking at the top of EVERY hill.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

wow, glad you ok.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:45 AM

Glad you're ok.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:50 AM

^^^ Thanks guys vvvv You and me both.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

glad you're okay and were alert. good driving.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Damn.... glad you're okay !!!!!!!!!!!!

I was in what should've been a fatal accident in a VW Jetta. Spun in front of a MACK dumptruck and was drilled in my side of the car. VW/Audi knows how to build one hell of a strong car.

That must've been scary as hell though!

I remember right before my accident I blacked out and I have no recollection of the contact which my doctor told me sometimes the brain can shut off to brace for an accident. Probably helped ease the situation for sure!

Living in a college area like you I have come to the realization that as capable as I feel in the car or with quattro in the rain for example... that I am no better then the guy next to me, because I can't control his actions and abilities... not to mention near a college town means cell phones and alcohol and it's a truly deadly combination.

Once again I'm glad you're fine and I added you on facebook YFF
Old 07-24-2006, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Whew. That sounded scary. Glad you are here today posting about it.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Definitlely glad you are okay - +1 for Audi

Quick Reply: Morning AW: Near death experience inside.