A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

A MP3 player for the Audi OEM radio...my New Years gift to you...........

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 10:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Even more suspicious...

The PDF also talks about being able to update the unit over the internet...

If the MP3 decoding is done in the head unit and NOT in this device, as we have been told, then what would there be to update?

Also, the original post was from a guy who hooked one up to his BMW head unit... Right? Well... The BMW head unit is made by Harmon Kardon, right? But even if it is made by Blau... I am absolutely certain that the BMW radios do NOT decode mp3, so how is it that this unit could work with one of those? Perhaps it's because the unit DOES do it's own decoding...

Again... NOT convinced that Blau supplied accurate information... In fact, I think it's bunk.

I still think there may be a way to make these things work.

Other opinions?

-Dana
Old 01-07-2004, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I think if you look at the list of compatible receivers, you can see that many of them dont have mp3

capability. So, I'm hoping that this will work. I doubt this will display the id3 tags, but seems like mp3's should work.
Old 01-07-2004, 04:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default And now I found this...

http://potato.smashedhat.com/pattjin/audi/stereo.php

This page shows the back of the Symphony II, and it looks exactly as it should... There is still a chance this will work, or there is a WAY to make it work.

-Dana
Old 01-07-2004, 10:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default latest info - unit arrived

hi guys ,
the mdp-01 arrived today.. its sharp ..tiny and very slick.. if we can get this to work I will be so happy. Its almost a work of art..the pictures dont do it justice. ok enough of that.. here is what I found out today.

After reading the manual cover to cover including the wiring diagram I called 2 places. One I called blaupunkt AGAIN and spoke with lewis/luise who once again told me the unit would not work for anything other than those recievers listed and that even an FM modulator wouldnt work because they dont make a controller for this model. He said if you had some way of "talking" to the mdp-01 and getting it to play then an fm modulator could put the audio through to the HU. I then stopped him and said .. " wait a minute you told me last week that this unit does not decode mp3 on its own" then he quickly said 'oh I remember you now.. oh I made a mistake..it does but your HU wont be able to "talk to the unit" to control it.
(anyhow we can now see that the techs there dont know **** about anything other than what this unit was designed to be used with)

2. I called a blaupunkt authorized dealer/installer (newport autosound) ..they are really professional and do a lot of highend work out here but they were even more clueless.

best bet is to just try the damd thing out.. I dont have removal tools and I dont want to pay a place just to pull my radio and dont want to be rushed experimenting with this hookups (cuz I have xm and I think that Xm is using my changer port) SO tomorrow I will go to the hobby shop and buy some brass strips and make my own pull tools and plug this bad boy in and see what happens.

cross your fingers !
has anyone else recieved their mdps yet ? anyone else try plugging it in?
Old 01-08-2004, 09:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default This IS encouraging news.

I have not received mine yet either, but I still have some doubts about what the guy at blau told you.

When Duke made the original post, he had pictures of the unit hooked up to what was either an Audi HU or a BMW HU... Obviously, he has hooked his up, because he took pictures. Obviously, it is working for him, or he would not have posted the message in the first place. AND... Most importantly... The unit he has his hooked up to is also not on the compatibility list that are supposedly the ONLY HU's this works with... So I am still not believing the information you were told on the phone.

Another thing that puzzles me... Blau has made previous Audi HU's, but they say they do not make the Symphony II in the 03 A4... Man... They sure do look like the other ones made by blau!

If the guy that you have talked to at blau is in the consumer retail devision, then he probably has no knowledge of the OEM units that blau makes for various auto manufacturers.

I can't wait to hear what happens when you plug it in. I still think the odds of it working are better than 50/50.

Please post any and all findings immediately.

Thanks,
-Dana
Old 01-08-2004, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default yup - Re: This IS encouraging news.

yeah its encouraging but I still have to go try it out today..will post this afternoon ..pst.
well you are right..duke's post showed the audi HU but I emailed him and he said he is using it in his BMW ..no other info on if he tried it in the audi..I think he may have but Im not sure. anyhow I think he said in his email he has nav+ unit.
I think your take on the blau guy is right.. he was retail div cust service..
I just went from an 02 A4 to an 04 A4 so today I have a tint appt in about an hour..so either tonight or for sure tomorrow I will try this and post.. I promise.. I have to make the HU removal tools today so prolly end up posting tomorrow unless I get it working in which case I will be excited and post at whatever time (3am or whatever I get it done). Im on pacific time here just FYI.
anyone else with info please post
Old 01-08-2004, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I cant get my radio removed<more>

I tried to use that article you posted to make my own radio removal tools but it didnt work for me.. couldnt get the radio out..so still cant try anything..
I will go down to a stereo shop tomorrow and get the radio pulled and try it then and let you know.
sorry guys.. wish I had radio pull tools..
do they sell them in any store locally? (I know clair parts has them)
Old 01-09-2004, 01:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default anyone got news on this? Got a used unit--anyone want to volunteer help over the weekend? <m>

I can volunteer the unit as well as my 256mb compact flash card to test this thing out. It should be able to read it. I don't have the 1G microdrive--don't ask.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Let me guess...

You sold the microdrive to cover the cost of the unit, right?

Any CF card should work in the unit, but the question remains, after a weeks time, does this thing even work?

-Dana
Old 01-09-2004, 06:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Message to Duke.

I sent this message to Duke in case he has any information for us.

In regards to this thread:
https://forums.audiworld.com/a4gen2/msgs/487376.phtml

Could I get you to offer some information on the Blau MP3 player?
Several of us have ordered them, but have not yet received, and we are all
wondering if and how these are going to work, because the people at Blau
have told us that it's not compatible... I suspect don't really know. At this
point, you have more knowledge and information than anyone. Plus, you
made the original post. We are all anxious for more, better, and accurate
information on the topic. Can you assist?

What did you hook yours up to?

Did you take those pictures?

Are you using yours?

If so, HOW is it working?

Does it display the id3 info?

Did you ever TRY it with the Audi radio?

Quick Reply: A MP3 player for the Audi OEM radio...my New Years gift to you...........