A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

A MP3 player for the Audi OEM radio...my New Years gift to you...........

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2004, 08:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ahhh... I get it...

Someone ELSE sold the unit to help cover the cost of the microdrive. So their final cost on their 1GB storage was $79... Not bad!

-Dana
Old 01-10-2004, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default latest progress 1/10/04

ok finally got the HU removed..
the symphonyII is indeed a panasonic..as the label says.
I unplugged the harness as dleaseman suggested and plugged in the power harness/antennas/and mpd-01 harness (leaving off the lineout etc OEM harness since they wont both fit in there without modification).
The mdp-01 didnt even turn on..no power no light..no disk spinning.. nothing.. so obviously the HU said "no cd" when I pressed the CD button and it said "no Sat" when I pressed the sat button (because the sat connection is on the OEM harness and plugs into the CD area of the harness). My idea was that if this thing worked I would splice the wires for the cd portion of the harness and wire in a replay or switch so that whenever I wanted mp3 I would flip the switch and whenever I wanted XM I would flip it back.
I reexamined the pin layout and it seems like it should have been okay.. but obviously its not getting power..so I will recheck what pins are supposed to be where and try it again..
I really dont want to splice wires on either the OEM or the blau harness though untill I am positive it will work.. as I may want to return the blau if it cant be used in my car???
any progress on anyone else's side ??
oh btw I couldnt get he pins out of the harness..that was my first attempt..Im gunna actually try more on that because its now obvious that either the pins werent in the right places or that the entire harness needs to be connected before it can function.
Old 01-10-2004, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Did you see my post? Mine wouldn't even turn on with the stock harness removed...

My radio went into safe mode when I pulled out the CAN wiring, so I can't even test it. I'm stuck where you are trying to get the pins out of the Blau harness. I'm about ready to smash it with a hammer and hope I don't break the pins...

Ugh.
Old 01-10-2004, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sam, did you load one of the Travelpilot updates onto your MDP?

Did you see Dana's post with the response from Duke that he needed to add the Travelpilot udpate to get his to work? Maybe that's why yours isn't working.

I can't even try that until I get the pins apart since my radio needs the CAN plugged in to operate. Not sure why ours are different like that...
Old 01-10-2004, 12:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Some clarification...

Since these head units appear to operate differently, it would be nice if each of you could clarify which model head unit you have, and what year your Audi is.

Mine, for instance, is a 2003 A4 3.0 with a Symphony II HU.

Also, the problem Duke was having was that the MP3 player could not see the files until he copied a file to his microdrive from the CD that the mp3 player came with. But his unit DID have power.

I hopes are sinking on this... With the head unit being a Panasonic and not an acutal Blaupunkt, it's not promising.

-Dana
Old 01-10-2004, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm checking with SamstagSales to see which Hazet pin release tool would be used.

You interested? The sets are way too expensive but an individual tool might be doable for a more professional installation.
Old 01-10-2004, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

yeah did the travelmate update.. no luck.. it wont even power up..
Old 01-10-2004, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default my HU is <more>

my HU is a SymphonyII w/ bose on a 04' 1.8t Quattro,ultrasport,cold pkg, bose, XM, premium pkg, xenon.

yeah mine didnt even power up.. I think obviously the pins arent placed the same..that isnt the biggest problem..if I could cut the wires or take out the pins I could rearrange it so that atleast it has power but as it is I dont want to cut wires just yet.
I did go to 4 diff audio places looking for a harness or Y adapter for the harness in order to tap the leads without cutting wires but no luck there. Dealer wont sell the harness either.

I think obviously the other parts of that OEM harness have to be connected before it will send power..our best bet is for someone without XM to pop out the blau pins and place them into the stock harness and try it with everything plugged in.
Old 01-10-2004, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default yeah just read that.. my HU works without CAN wires but wont work without <more>

wont work without the bottom harness which gives it power.. but the HU does turn on without cam harness..
we cant tell like this.. it has to be done with everything plugged in to see how it would function under normal conditions.. Im gunna work on getting those pins out.. my problem isnt with the blau harness its with the OEM harness cuz I have XM plugged into the OEM harness where my cd/changer should be so its a matter of getting those 3 pins out first and thats a headache..

shaun try a small screwdriver like we suggested..if you can release the blau pins then you probably have the best chance of getting this thing tested since your changer pins in the OEM harness are empty right ? so you should be able to just pop the blau pins in there..
Old 01-10-2004, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

yeah I would be interested.. how much ??

Quick Reply: A MP3 player for the Audi OEM radio...my New Years gift to you...........