A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

MTM Exhaust Installed: I saved the best for last....

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This is so irritating! more...

It is practically impossible to buy an exhaust right the first time so that it fits one's subjective desires for sound on the inside of the car and ouside, because of two things. One, you can't test drive one, and two, no one who has done the mod can specifically give a proper description of the differences from stock.

Also, person A's idea of "quiet" is probably drastically different than person B.

I'll tell you what I want. I want an exhaust system that has about the same interior noise level as the stock B6 S4 system. Since I have recently driven that car, I would say it is appreciably louder than my stock exhaust in my 1.8t at wot and even at half throttle under a load.

I don't care much what it sounds like on the outside, as I know if it meets my conservative ideas on the inside then it is bound to sound proper on the outside.

I want the enhancement of better turbo breathing with a cooler interior exhaust note, slightly louder, but I don't want any resonance.

Is this too much to ask? Maybe it is. I don't know how I will ever know before I take the plunge. It'll be like jumping off a cliff blind folded. Throwing the dice. I'll just have to pick a system and pray that it works for me!

I am leaning toward the Thermal system, but I have not seen enough feedback that I can understand that makes me comfortable.

For now, I drag my feet.

Steve
Old 12-22-2003, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like I know what my exhaust will be... MTM! Thanks!
Old 12-22-2003, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I'm glad your finally happy but .......

I just wish you could give some benefit of the doubt to the other exhaust's. For example, I have the APR and the fitment was perfect and is very quite and I would like to add that my APR has absolutly no resonance or cabin drone at all. That's all I wanted to say, I understand you had some hard luck and I'm glad it all finally worked out.

Jim
Old 12-22-2003, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Very nice - MTM is pricey but they do know what they are doing

regardless of what people may say.
Old 12-22-2003, 05:59 PM

Default I'm with you on that

Only alternative is to find someone who has a system installed and is willing to let you ride.

Best bet would be to check in your area or surrounding areas for an Audi enthusiast group and attend a gathering.
Old 12-22-2003, 06:08 PM

Default Okay_paging Louisville, Indy or cincinnati?

I'm in Louisville area and I am not aware of any enthusiasts in this vicinity. Is there anyone in Louisville, cincinnati or indianapolis that has an exhaust mod?

steve
Old 12-22-2003, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I believe stock tips are 70mm the MTM tips are 90mm.
Old 12-22-2003, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

FINALLY !!! (welcome to the club)
Old 12-22-2003, 07:05 PM

Default Thanks. The downpipe/Cat should be following soon....

I'm also thinking to get their Stage 1+ as a temporary "power hunger" fix, until I can get a turbo kit.
Old 12-22-2003, 07:19 PM
Former Vendor

Default Truly happy for you after all that you have gone through you found it

Small question for you, there was a mention that it flows much better than other systems you have tried in the past specifically APR & GHL which both had the DP. Do you know if MTM has Dyno plots or HP and Torque figures I would b very interested to know what the gains would be.

Quick Reply: MTM Exhaust Installed: I saved the best for last....