A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Multitronic Problem (Oh Man!)

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Multitronic Problem (Oh Man!)

Found out I have a Multitronic (CVT) transmission problem. Dealer says ~$7000 to repair. Basically the ring and the pinion aren't meshing properly (The Audi Technician says a bearing seems to have failed).

Needless to say, I'm sick about this situation. I was already upset when it took them an extra day to just remove the drain plug to do the Audi required diagnostic checks. Apparently during the 40K CVT maintenance the drain plug was stripped
out. The technican had to use vise-grips to remove the drain plug...:-(

Regarding the symptom, I first noticed this about 6K miles back but thought it was the tires. I went to the dealer, when new tires failed to eliminate the noise

Not sure what do on this one, I'm kind of have the sick feeling you get under these circumstances.

I talked to a couple of mechanics and the feedback I get is shock that this drive train component would go out this early.

-Has anyone else had this symptom?
-Think Audi will help?
-If I buy a new xmission will it have a 50K warranty?

2002 A4 1.8T CVT
Old 11-13-2005, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default new trans will be 12mo/12k miles

I'd get rid of the car like yesterday's spoiled milk. CVT's fail way too often for it to be a reliable gearbox type. I dunno why they fail but over the last 2 years I've seen more CVT failures than any other kind of gearbox, and mind you like 85% of the recent audis are quattro! That means a small percentage of the sales makes up for a large percentage of the total gearbox failures IMO.
Old 11-13-2005, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default how many miles are on the car?

If you dont have a lot of miles... like 50k or so, I'd be on the phone with customer relations asking why a 4 year old car needs a $7k gearbox and if you should take that to be exemplary of the brand and its other products. I'd be sure and tell them that you really enjoyed the car... etc etc but you simply dont want to be driving a car that will randomly require a repair which costs a large percentage of the car's value. I'd say that you feel let down by the car and most certainly mention that you feel sickened and find this to be most disheartening as you thought you had found a brand that really fit you.

If you can get AOA to foot the bill, you're blessed and you need to dispose of the car asap. Trade it in and buy a quattro or a manual fwd. DO NOT buy another CVT again.
Old 11-13-2005, 05:49 PM

Default Re: how many miles are on the car?

71K.

I think you represent my fellings pretty well. I do love this car and when I was told about the xmission I remembered discussing the reliability with the salesman when I purchased this car. I remember him telling me that Audi tested this in Europe for two years and checked this xmission after 200K and only found minimum wear.

Regarding my view if Audi. I see Audi as a performance vehicle. This however; is not performance.

Not sure what AOA will do. The Service Assistant that presented me with the 7K quote at the dealer told me to call AOA. He handed me the 800 number and the part number for CVT and told me to plead my case.

When I got home I called; This didn't work out like I expected. The lady at AOA was very professional and disarming. However, turns out that I ended up upsetting her due to my making such a request as directed by the dealer. She told me that the dealers handled this and that a letter was sent to all dealers specifically stating this as policy.

She then asked Dealer details, put me on hold and left a message at the dealer. She stated that the dealer manager was to call me back within 48 hours.
She also said if I didn't get this call to call her back.

See stated that there was a process where the Manager and a Regional manager could review my case and had the flexibility to work with me if they deemed it approprate.

That was last Thursday evening. (FYI no call from dealer yet.) I'm pretty sure I've pissed the dealer off for following the Service Assistants direction.

I expect to hear something tomorrow (maybe). If not I'll call the nice AOA lady tomorrow.

Overall not a good week....
Old 11-13-2005, 05:52 PM

i would get rid of it asap....sell it for w/e a dealergives you
Old 11-13-2005, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Re: i would get rid of it asap....sell it for w/e a dealergives you----- agreed
Old 11-13-2005, 06:20 PM

Default Re: i would get rid of it asap....sell it for w/e a dealergives you

As is? Unless they gives me 7K, wouldn't I be better off fixing the car and then selling the car?
(assuming I can get 14K used)

If failure is a fluke, I could rationalize this repair even at ~7K and keep the car. Thing is, I drive ~60 miles round trip a day and 12 thousand miles 1 year won't cut it for a warranty.

On the other hand, If this is not a fluke and is a design flaw I lean in the direction of cutting my losses and moving to a new xmission. So far feedbac k seems to indicate a design weakness in the xmissions.

Probably still be and Audi. I do love this car.

Damn, I hate this situation
Old 11-13-2005, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

you've got mail.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:54 PM

Default think of it this way..

say the car is worth 15....no problems with the tranny at all....u sell it now and get 15 and let the dealership get scrwed over.. or u keep it...fix it for 7k...is it smart to invest almost 50% in a car to fix it...so now u have a car with 15k+7k(investment)=22....when u keep it another year youll sell it for 13k so now ur down 9k....sell it now....take te 15k u can get for the car and the money u were gonna spend fixing it...and get a 2004 a4 for 22k...and dont make the same mistake a lot of us did...get the tip or clutch... if u sell it for anything over 12 with a broke tranny be happy... And thats good advice from some1 whos been smoking pot for 2 hours strait =-p
Old 11-14-2005, 09:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default What was the sound like? (m)

Ever since I got my car back from its 40K service there has been a humming sound that I thought was the tires. I am worried...

Quick Reply: Multitronic Problem (Oh Man!)