A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

My 02' blows warm air when set to 65F and the outside is cool (ECON) defective ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2003, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 02' blows warm air when set to 65F and the outside is cool (ECON) defective ?
Old 10-01-2003, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I've noticed some "issues" with my climate control also...

Like when set to "auto" it tends to blow the same temp air regardless of the temp I set...just uses more or less fan. I can set it at 68 when it's hot out and it just blows cool air at full fan setting rather than really chilling the air. Likewise, when I set it to 74 and it's cool outside (68) it will very gently blow very warm air..easily upper 70s I'd guess. Maybe this is just how it works but when I set it to 68 I want 68 degree air...no more no less. I have an '03.
Old 10-01-2003, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default There are some serious deficiencies with the climate control. My take...

There are 2 major problems with the system. First, the CC will use both hot and cold air to maintain a constant temperature when in Auto mode. For example, if it's a warm day and you have the CC set to 66, the A/C will run to cool the car. Once the inside temp has gone below 66, the A/C will switch to pump out warm air to bring the temp back to 66 (whereas other systems will simply back off the fan until the temp increases back to 66). Nothing is worse than getting hit in the face with a blast of warm air when you're trying to cool off.

Second, there is no way for outside (vented) air to bypass the heater core. This is an even bigger problem, imo. It means that you either have to have the A/C running to get cool air, or else the "fresh" air you think you're getting will be warm all the time. Basically, if you just want to circulate some cool, outside air in the cabin, you can't.

Another issue I have is that when the CC is off, there is a warm draft at my feet in the foot well. When the CC is off, I want NO AIR! How hard is that?

Basically, I think they went out of their way to make the system more complicated and less effective. <shakes head>
Old 10-01-2003, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Matches my experience as well
Old 10-01-2003, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default It is kinda complex....

...especially coming from a '95 Jetta with three ***** to everything! But I think in order to get pure outside air, you need to have ECON pushed, the temp set to LO and then I push the middle button so the air comes out of the dashboard vents only. I was doing this last night and that seemed to be only outside air, no A/C added. The manual isn't very clear on this. Frustrating, because this time of year in NJ you don't need heat or A/C. But overall it beats the 3 *****!
Old 10-01-2003, 07:10 AM

Ditto.
Old 10-01-2003, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default And since I'm ranting... HOW ABOUT A F'ING "OFF" BUTTON???

Oh, that's right. It was an afterthought that we 2002 owners didn't get...
Old 10-01-2003, 07:16 AM
Banned

Default ARRGGGGGG....Its works just like a thermosat in a home. ITS NOT THAT COMPLICATED!

When it is 65 outside, and you set the temp to 70, the car will blow air through the heater until it reaches that temperature. IT does not vary the amount of heat, just how long it blows the heat.

FOr example, lets say the air coming out of your heat vents is at 80. The car will mix 80 degree air with your current cabin air until the mix equals your set temp (70). Then the heat will stop. Just like your house.
Old 10-01-2003, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default about that warm draft at your feet when its off-

i'd complained about this a couple times when i first got the car. Apparently that's from the freagin heater core being right there by the steering column, so you get some radiant heat. THAT is the most annoying cuz days like we're having now, when it's nice and 70 degrees outside, i don't want to have the AC running if i have the windows up.

I also can't believe that they don't allow us to run cool fresh air w/o the AC on. Sometimes, they need to remember to keep it simple...
Old 10-01-2003, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Agreed. I could go on a similar rant about the seat memory functions...

It's gotten way too complicated. It makes you wonder if they've begun changing things just to be able to offer "new and improved" features, with no thought of functionality or simplicity... Oh well.

Quick Reply: My 02' blows warm air when set to 65F and the outside is cool (ECON) defective ?