A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

my clutch pedal spring is making crazy noise and the pedal seems loose...

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 06:23 PM
cpd
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my clutch pedal spring is making crazy noise and the pedal seems loose...

like it has some sideways play when depressing and is making this god aweful crunch sound near the floor. Can the spring go? tried to look under there but couldnt see much, nothing to lube either, think the spring mechanism was plastic. Has anyone heard of pedal failure. Clutch itself is money, already been done but the pedal itself seems off??? kinda worried
Old 12-16-2006, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sounds like the pedal pivot bushing has failed, thus the side play, misalignment, and

crunching sound from the pedal.
Old 12-16-2006, 02:58 PM
cpd
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default is this a hard fix and should i not be driving it until i fix it...

dont want to be out and about and have the pedal go completely.
Thanks.
Old 12-16-2006, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Best to avoid use if possible, until you can replace the pedal assembly.

Maybe one of the Audi recyclers will have a pedal cluster available to ship asap. Try Shokan Audi, or Dad's Audi Recyclers in Sacramento, CA. Or, an Audi dealer near you. Replacing the pedal cluster is medium difficult, you will need to disconnect the clutch hydraulic line, electrical connectors and brake booster push rod. (May require a special tool.) Then the brake push rod length may need to be adjusted to the new pedal set, and the hydraulic clutch must have the air bleed out after reconnecting the hose fitting. Adjusting the brake light switch properly is also a concern. Do you have the Bentley Manual, and a VAG-COM tool, etc?
An indie Audi shop may be the way to go on this.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

does it make a metallic clicking noise? i examined mine and thought it was the clutch switch
Old 12-17-2006, 04:55 PM
cpd
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default yeah its kind of a metallic click, or matallic creeking....

used to do it a few months ago, then it stopped, now its back. i dont want to fix another thing on this car. Im nearing 6k in repairs on a bone stock car in one year without warranty and to me thats simply not cool.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:04 PM
cpd
AudiWorld Senior Member

thank you for your insight, always appreciated.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default i respect diagnosticator, but i have to disagree that it is the pedal pivot bushing

I really think that it is either the over-center spring, or clutch pedal switch.

check your email, cpd
Old 12-18-2006, 03:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Your contribution adding alternative solutions for the problem is important..

and are consistant with the spirit of the forum. I hope your insight provides the specific remedy for this problem, a fix that avoids replacing the pedal cluster is obviously preferred!
As you are aware, it is not always clear from the original problem description, what the required solution is. Deciding how to help in reply, is mostly intuitive, supported by experience and specific knowledge, that determines which of the several possible scenarios to focus on to provide some direction on approaching the problem presented. I am not concerned if preliminary analysis is not conclusive, because, by facilitating additional input from others, that lead to the solution required, is what is important.
I appreciate your input!
Old 12-18-2006, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default thank you, i'm only trying to help and have this exact same issue

As I said before, I've always been impressed with diagnosticator's extremely in depth explanations that demonstrate his vast knowledge of automobile systems.

In the end though, it's a mixture of personal experience and knowledge that leads us to a solution. I'm not saying that I'm correct in my diagnosis, but I do have the same issue, which I have examined.

Let's just hope that we can solve it. I do not feel that it is an item that will fail, but it is annoying to say the least. I might replace my clutch switch because it's a $12 part and see if that fixes it.

Quick Reply: my clutch pedal spring is making crazy noise and the pedal seems loose...