A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

My coil pack situation update (long) ...

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2003, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 124 Likes on 86 Posts
Default My coil pack situation update (long) ...

These are just some notes to give those of you who may have had (or will have) a coil pack go bad an idea of what my experience was. All others can skip the boring details. )

As posted Sunday one of my coil packs went bad as I was driving away from my house, so I turned around and drove the two blocks back to my house.

Early Monday morning I called Audi Roadside Assistance, and spoke to a very pleasant woman. I anticipated a problem because the Audi dealer where I wanted the car to be flatbedded to was 28 miles away (there is a closer dealer but I refuse to do business with him), but the woman from Audi said there would be no problem taking me to my dealer. She pointed out, however, that AAA (with whom Audi contracts for roadside assistance) usually has a 90-minute arrival time, and she graciously offered to call around to find an independent contractor who could arrive sooner. But since I was at home and in no hurry to get to work, I said I would wait.

The flatbed truck driver was a nice guy, and was surprised when I told him my car had six cylinders. He thought A4 meant four cylinders. I rode with him to my dealership and had a pleasant conversation along the way. When we reached my destination and he unloaded my car, I offered him a $5 tip, but he refused, and told me to have a nice day.

The bad news came at the service manager's desk. He said they had no coil packs in stock for 3.0 engines, and that I probably would have to leave my car for a week and a half, since they had to order the parts from Germany. When I asked him if they were planning to replace all of the coil packs, he said no. I pointed out to him that I may have to have my car trucked back a week later should another coil pack go bad, and he was very apologetic, saying they were following Audi's policy.

When he told me that they would be giving me a free rental car, I replied, "I hope it's going to be an A8." He said that no, unfortunately, it wouldn't be. I then said, "well, I hope it will at least be equivalent to my $38,000 A4." Again, the service manager was very apologetic, saying he wished he could loan me an A4.

Anyway, they ended up giving me an '03 Camry, which, after driving for two minutes, made me long for my A4. The Camry floats like a boat, the steering is way too light, and I can't find a comfortable seating position no matter how hard I try. But I guess I shouldn't complain; they could've given me a Neon or something.

Oh, one more thing that particularly annoyed me. The rental car person tried to sell me lots of extra expensive coverage. I told him that if the dealership was going to pay for it, I'll take it. He said it wasn't, so I said no thank you.

Well, the situation so far has been an inconvenience, but I have to admit that Audi Roadside Assistance and the dealership's service manager have been very courteous and accommodating about everything. Let's just see how long it will be before I get my car back ... and when the next coil pack will fail.
Old 02-11-2003, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So much for AoA assuring everyone that CP supply is no longer an issue.
Old 02-11-2003, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: My coil pack situation update (long) ...

Like poetry......
Old 02-11-2003, 09:08 AM

Default Re: My coil pack situation update (long) ...

I was about 90 miles from home in up state NY when my coil pack went. Audi Roadside was great, very similar to your experience. They towed my car 60 miles to a dealership in NJ (not mine, it was too far) which was more than I expected. Again, like you, they will only replace the bad coil since this was my first time, but i was told that if another fails, they will replace all of them. Being that they had the part, i should get it back today or tomorrow. it broke down on sunday. although it is an inconvienience, the situation could have been alot worse.
Old 02-11-2003, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 231 Likes on 195 Posts
Default Just talked to my dealer in northeastern PA and no 3.0 coils available also!

So much for the letter stating the the supply is better! They probably only ship where needed in the world right now to cover immediate failures to get guys like us back on the road or dealers would hoard the supply.

My car had two coils go so I'm entitled(according to the letter) to a new 6 piece set and there aren't any 3.0 coils available!
Old 02-11-2003, 09:56 AM

Default Did the rental car come with a full tank of fuel?

Will you drop it off to the dealer when you pick your car up? If so, just drop it off near empty, its a nice present to have a tank full of fuel out of this hassle.
Weve done it on both the rentals so far.

Not to mention, a tank of fuel in a smallish rental car here costs upwards of £35, so about $55.
Old 02-11-2003, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 124 Likes on 86 Posts

Came 3/4 full. I was told to return it same way ... or pay.
Old 02-11-2003, 11:00 AM

Default by the rental people?

this all goes on the roadside assistance bill right?
Im not sure how the system works in america but we just leave the rental at the dealership, and drive off in our repaired car.
last two times we did that, wed used up atleast 3/4 of the tank, although if the dealership told you otherwise that could be a different story.
Old 02-11-2003, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default it depends...

most US dealership have arrangements with car rental companies like Enterprise. In that case, the Audi dealership only picks up the tab for the base price of the rental, but you are responsible for everything else (gas, supplemental insurance, etc.) And you are responsible for returning the car to Enterprise.

Now, if the rental was given to you by the Audi dealer (one of their Audis from the lot), then it may be different - just like you described.
Old 02-11-2003, 11:16 AM

Default hmm, our rental was given to us by enterprise aswell.

They dropped it off the morning after our car was taken into the dealer the first time, the second time it was a sundaybefore the new year or something and they had to open up a garage and we went and got the rental.

Anyway, in both cases, we left the rental at the dealership and they were left to deal with the paperwork, drive the car back to the garage and fill out any other paperwork that would lead to Audi roadside assistance settling the bill in full.

*hears repo men at the doorbell*
oooh, they want to know how were gonna pay for a couple of outstanding fuel bills ;p

Quick Reply: My coil pack situation update (long) ...