A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Mysterious leaking fluid

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mysterious leaking fluid

I was pulling out to go to the tire store to get my blizzacks (yay) installed and I noticed a puddle of fluid on my driveway coming from the front center of the engine bay. I whiped a little but up with my finger to see what it's color is. It appeared to be red tinted, although I was expecting red power steering fluid from my pervious fiasco a month ago, so it was probably just tinted some color that I could not reconize. It had no obvious smell to it. I checked power steering levels and they appeared to be normal. I overfilled it slightly anyway just because I was paranoid because so much fluid came out. I checked underneith the car as much as I could and I noticed fluid on the back plastic covering. I saw no obvious low levels of fluid in the coolant resevoir, and I have yet to verify brake fluid levels. I am positive that it is not oil. The fluid is rather clear, translucent, if you will. Any suggestions? I do not have the tools right now to get way under the car. I have made an appt at the dealer to check it out. I hope it was a hose or something hooked up to the power steering system that leaked due to the insane cold weather here in KC. That'd be assuming that they overfilled the fluid resevoir. No big deal, but I would find that unlikely. Thanks
Old 01-07-2004, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Expert

blinker fluid
Old 01-07-2004, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: blinker fluid

Please no facetiousness.
Old 01-07-2004, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Expert

this is why i dont hang out in the regular forums anymore, uptight n00bs
Old 01-07-2004, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: this is why i dont hang out in the regular forums anymore, uptight n00bs

I just didn't want it so the replies would be off topic... Seems respectible enough.
Old 01-07-2004, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

but it was funny If it was summer I'd say the AC but don't know in winter.
Old 01-07-2004, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: but it was funny :) If it was summer I'd say the AC but don't know in winter.

Sure isn't the heater.
Note the fluid hasn't evaported since I noticed the leak this morning. It was 28 degrees for a high today.
Old 01-07-2004, 04:54 PM

Default Only other fluid I know that is sometimes red is, gulp, transmission fluid.

Our coolant is orange, IIRC, washer fluid is blue or yellow (and thinner). Since you said it was from the center of the engine bay, it might be coming from there, but may be running down a hose or harness to get there, or get to a point where it can drip from the underside covers. Got access to a lift? Sorry I'm probably not much help, except to instill anxiety. :-(
Old 01-07-2004, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Only other fluid I know that is sometimes red is, gulp, transmission fluid.

I was suspecting transmission leaking as well. It seemed weird that suddenly a large chunk dropped out after sitting outside in 10 degree weather and any other day it hasn't. I suspect something is just loose. I was able to view the part of the transmission where the dirve shafts come out for the front wheels, looked fine. I guess I'll wait to see what the dealer finds. Otherwise the car is driving as if it's brand new. I just bought the car about 2000 miles ago (61000), if a tranny needs replacing I'm definately taking the matters over to them. What a potential hastle.
Old 01-08-2004, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default What was your previous fiasco?

You mentioned a previous fiasco and stated you figured it would have been power steering fluid...

I, too, have a small puddle in my garage up front. It appeared for the first time after the dealer replaced the right side tie rod (or tie rod ends?). I didn't get too worried about it as I figured they just topped off some fluid (ie power steering fluid) too high or something. I also haven't looked at it up close to see the color, but I supposed I should...

But if you had steering work done, I'd imagine it's some spill-off. It's been around 2000 miles since the work was done and my car has been fine in every respect.

Hope this helps/comforts,

Brian

Quick Reply: Mysterious leaking fluid