A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Need Audi Technician's help with CVT

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Audi Technician's help with CVT

I have a 2002 A4 with a CVT transmission. I'm currently getting the following error code from the transmission, code 18185 / P1777.

According to the repair manual the possible cause for the error code can be caused by one of the following three problems;

1)in-line filter clogged
2)restriction in the oil lines
3)TCM faulty

I have replaced the in-line filter and checked the oil lines for restrictions and did not find any restrictions. So it appears to be the TCM.

The transmission works good when cold but after it warms up (from driving for about 30 - 45 minutes) there is a delay in moving forward and when it does start to engage it is very abrupt (slam into gear) when starting from stand still. After the car starts moving the transmission works fine until you come to a complete stop then the delay in moving and engaging abruptly is repeated.

Are there any checks that I can perform to ensure that the TCM is bad?

I do have a vag-com cable from Ross-Tech so I can check different measuring block of the CVT.

Appreciate any help.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The CVT transmission has quite history of failing prematurely for Audi owners. There's a company in New Jersey that's been able to integrate TCM's to Audi CVT transmissions (as well as everything up to their "bulletproof" transmissions); Level Ten Products (http://www.levelten.com/aboutus.asp). Given them a call and see if they can offer any assistance in getting your car back on the road...
Old 08-05-2010, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

When my TCM failed, it had the following symptoms:

After I started the ignition and put te shifter into reverse, the car would not move right away. It got so bad that it would not engage into reverse after several attempts. This mostly happened after the car was sitting in a parking lot or driveway cold.

The dealership replaced the TCM and that seemed to solve the problem. Now whenever I shift into drive or reverse, I intentially give an extra pause (1 mississippi, 2 mississippi) before throttling up just so the transmission has plenty of time to engage and do whatever it has to do.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Joe,

Thanks for the input. My problem is a little different then what you describe since my trans works good/normal when cold but the delay in moving forward and engaging abruptly (like releasing the clutch to quickly on a manual transmission) when starting from stand still.