A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Need help with diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with diagnosis

Hello all,

Thought I would ask for help before I take my car to the dealers and probably have to spend big bucks (hope not)

I have an 2005 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro with both Audi and Audi assured warranty expired but with success on changing quite a few items before expiration 145,000 km. However now I have some issues:

1) Have this popping noise (seems like it is coming from air box or exhaust system but not sure). Happening on idle and sounds like pop corn popping. Any ideas?
--I am going to clean my MAF sensor next week to see if it makes a diff

2) When downshifting from speeds at about 110+ KM/Hr (doesn't matter what gear I am in) seems like my car makes a thump (with slight hesitation) before if comes into lower gear. Was told by Audi dealer it was clutch but they were totally wrong on that as many other dealerships and mechanics told me clutch is fine. What can I check?
--seems like some sort of mount to me but checked engine mounts and they are fine.

3) Ran a VAGCOM auto check and found following faults:
Address 46
Controller: *E0 959 433 BB
Component: Komfortgerat T7B 1612
Coding: 16232
01403 - Glass-Break Sensors: Rear
36-00 - Open Circuit
01560 - Passenger Door
59-10 - Can't unlock - Intermittent

I have not noticed anything to be wrong with passenger locks. They lock fine and door opens fine. Tried to clear codes 5 time and still fault come up. Should I be worried or forget about this?

Thanks everyone.....
Old 06-04-2011, 06:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

If you have a thin wooden dowel rod (or go to Home Depot and pick one up for like $2), you can get a better idea as to where the noise is comming from by placing one end of the dowel against your ear, and the other end at various points in the engine bay. You'll get a better idea as to where it's comming from when it gets louder or softer.
I'd take a look at the exhaust gasket.
Hopefully it doesn't sound like this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ubhkqWv_q8
Old 06-06-2011, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Hahaha Glad it doesn't sound like that

Hi Tippster,

Thanks for the wooden dowel rod trick I will try that. However, not sure if it is related or not in any way, but my CEL light came on today and everything I read is pointing to MAF again. Here is what I got when someone scanned it for me:

Address 01 -------------------------------------------------------
Controller: 8E0 909 518 BC
Component: 1.8L R4/5VT G 0040
Coding: 0016711
Shop #: WSC 93246
2 Faults Found:
17544 - Fuel Trim: Bank 1 (Add): System too Lean
P1136 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded
16555 - Fuel Trim: System Too Lean: Bank 1
P0171 - 004 - No Signal/Communication
Readiness: N/A

Is this related in anyway? He is not an expert on what to check at this point but your help is appreciated.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by NeedHelp14
Hi Tippster,
P0171 - 004 - No Signal/Communication
Check the MAF connector. Might wanna unplug it and check it to see if there's anything corroded or rusty.

Also found this...
http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...www.google.com
Old 06-07-2011, 03:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thanks Tippster

Thanks again Tippster. I will be checking it out this week.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

On to 2) and 3).

2) I assume you have a 6 speed. Are you downshifting for passing power? In any case, how are the dealers that say "your clutch is fine" diagnosing it? It does sound like your clutch is wearing out and slipping slightly. Not anything I would mess with by the way until your clutch was obviously on it's way out.

3) Fault codes are for your alarm. As you are dooing, you might periodically check the passenger door after you set the alarm to make sure it is locking. As for me, as long as it is beeping once meaning the alarm is setting, I wouldn't worry about the faults.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thanks lyleswk

Response to question 2.
I am downshifting to say get off a highway, so I am not downshifting to pass per se but more to reduce speed. However, even if I go with the idea of downshifting to pass, either way, it is thumping because the RPM's get very high and it's like the car hesitates before it finds gas and then engages and accelerates.

The only diagnoses they did was told me my clutch is too high when it engages. But normal driving of my car, I don't see any issues and my car picks up speed and all no problems. Are there any mounts to check besides engine mounts?

Response to question 3.
I didn't even check to see if passenger side door locks with alarm. I hope it does because I do hear the alarm locking. I will check that and hopefully it is ok and then will ignore error
Old 06-08-2011, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

I believe the manual has one mount identical to the engine mounts. You might check that. Look for leaking purple fluid.

Also, your snub mount may be degrading causing a slight misalignment which I think will result in different shifting feel if you are going up the gears versus going down.

As far as your alarm, if it beeps, I am about 99% sure it is locking. The alram has a feedback that the door is locked before it beeps. Sounds just intermittent. I wish I could find my VAGCOM download at work to see what sort of codes I have on my alram to compare.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Awesome stuff lyleswk

Thanks again lyleswk.

I will check for purple fluid then. Other then that, I may just have to live with it I am picky so I like my car running in tip top shape but just me
Old 06-08-2011, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Update on car issues and resolution

Fix for Error codes

So I brought my car to my friend who is a mechanic. He told me the error codes were triggered by a vent hose (hose from intake from F connector out to filter housing). He didn't know the exact name (and neither did Audi dealer). Said was extremely swollen and that whoever put that hose on in the first place used the wrong hose Probably why my gas mileage sucked.

As for cleaning the MAF, he said he couldn't take the MAF out, something with not having the right socket (grr I hate Audi for that). Does anyone know or have a diagram of tools needed to take MAF out, maybe socket spec. Said something like 5 ml hex (sorry I have no idea here)/

Also, he told me that for the popping noise, he wants to take the whole air filter out, sounds to him like there is a latch that opens and closes that may not be working properly or is stuck. Does anyone know, is there a flap that opens and closes that may not be operating properly (maybe someone had this issue). Any special tools needed to take whole aircovering out?

For downshifting issue, told me he lubricated all mounts and stuff and wants to see if it helps first. Saw some dry areas.

Lastly, does anyone know how to troubleshoot wind noise. I had him look at that, and told him sounds to me like sunroof, but he told me he doesn't thinkso and sounds more like it is coming from the firewall. Somewhere in the front dash. Anyone have any issues that they can advise on?

Thanks again all.....