A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Need Opinions..I'm Chip Envy!!..but is it worth the risk???

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2002, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default well, you do not have to tell the extended warranty company (assuming it's not AoA) that...

you're chipped. When you go to an independent garage shop for repair, they do not need to tell the ext. warranty company that you're chipped either. It's in their interest not to tell so that they get your business and get paid (by the ext. warranty company).
Old 07-23-2002, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that is y you need vag-com so they don't see those codes...
Old 07-23-2002, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

How much is the Neuspeed chip? I have a CVT too.
Old 07-23-2002, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I think he is stating that your entire warranty is not gone only the peice that you effected.
Old 07-23-2002, 11:59 AM

$299 + tax.
Old 07-23-2002, 12:15 PM

Default Yes they can deny claim, they must prove that the modification caused the failure

the moss-magnason act states that in no way can they revoke your warranty and that they must prove that the modification caused the damage.
Old 07-23-2002, 12:34 PM

Default Re: Need Opinions..I'm Chip Envy!!..but is it worth the risk???

Well, I can't speak for the Neuspeed chip, but the GIAC chip does void the warranty if it causes the failure. I tend to agree with the consensus that if the dealer can avoid the fix, he will try. I've know quite a few dealers that try to squeeze out of things.

Now, can they detect it? Depends on the situation. My car has the chastity belt and so, yes they know without even doing any diag work. Just look for the missing plates ;-). But then again, for the most part, the dealer really does need to either drive it hard or bench the car to actually tell.

One last note, there's a service rep at my local Audi dealer that knows ALL about modifications. He hangs around one of the mod shops here in town. So I expect to contact him when I service the car. He won't care too much and will be understanding.

So, at the end of the day, yeah, chip it ;-)..best bang per buck modification you can do.

FWIW, the GIAC chip will take the 1.8T to 1bar boost, 217HP, 260-ish or 270-ish lb torque (I forget the exact number...). The car drives VERY differently (it's soooo cool!!!) and pulls like a bull above 3,500 RPMs.

Good luck!!!
Old 07-23-2002, 12:38 PM

Yes they can...they can void your warranty...trust me
Old 07-23-2002, 12:41 PM

Default They can void your entire warranty for a chipped or raced out car.

I have heard of it happening.
Old 07-23-2002, 01:00 PM
Elder Member

Default Re: Need Opinions..I'm Chip Envy!!..but is it worth the risk???

I don't believe that the dealer can void your entire warranty unless he can prove that your chip killed the entire car.

The warranty issue will come up if you have a failure of a part or parts that were directly caused by the chip. Most dealers will take the easy way out and say, "Sorry, your chip broke it" and not do the proper diagnosis to determine it properly. That's why it's important to get to know your service department if you plan to chip or at least go to a "mod friendly" dealership.

I don't dispute that there may have been instances where a raced out car had its warranty voided, but those instances should be the extreme and it should have been very apparent that the car had failures related to non-normal operation. However, in most cases, only the parts that fail due to the modification should have its warranty voided, not the entire warranty.

I plan to chip my car in about three months (after my 10k service). Hopefully, more insightful information comes out about the existing chips and the problems with fueling and engine vibration by then.

Quick Reply: Need Opinions..I'm Chip Envy!!..but is it worth the risk???