A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Need some input...(overheat/head/gasket)

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some input...(overheat/head/gasket)

Hey everyone so I have an 03 A4 1.8T and driving on highway Saturday got low coolant light with rising temp so got off highway and then had to get it flat bedded to dealership....all under warranty....so monday comes and they diagnose thermostat is bad, so they get the part in for that and put it in and then run a pressure test and find its not passing....So this was a used car and they take a look at the head and notice that is appears to be a re-manned head, not the original one....my car only has 45K on it and they want to charge me the $1000 to take the engine apart and see what it is...thereby not doing it under warranty...

Anyone have any thoughts here....I mean is the reason they wont honor warranty here because of the head? and also what should I expect for a price on a possible new head gasket install or even worse god-forbid a new head????
Old 04-11-2006, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

um warranty to 50k i thought
Old 04-11-2006, 06:37 PM

Default Yeah me too...

But for some reason they are having issues with the head that is on there....anyone think I should try and have it shipped to another dealership??? Thinking I might call around tomorrow and see what they say...
Old 04-11-2006, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default It all depends who is responsible.

Where did you get it from and did they indicate any non-audi repairs? If you bought from Audi you must have bought with the remaining warranty intact so they should honour it. If from a private party what could they have done to the car to warrant getting a major repair outside of the warranty?

If previously repaired by Audi then they are responsible for using a re-machined head and therefore voiding their own warranty - which they don't do. You need to check the repair records at Audi and work out the mystery. If the repair records don't show the repair then you need to work out the mystery of the remachined head to work out who's responsible for paying.

Good luck.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Well, if the head was not done by authorized dealer the first time

Then they have no responsibility under the warranty - Obviously, there was a previous undisclosed issue that was not fixed correctly. I'd be going after the place you bought the car from. If you got it from that same dealer, then they should fix it under their nickel.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Kevin, Talk to the dealership you purchased the car from and explain the situation.

Try to see if they can help you find out where the car was fixed when it was in its accident under previous ownership.

IMO, the dealership you purchased the car from in more apt to assist you I would think than a dealership where the car was flatbedded to.

Sorry to hear about your troubles.