A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Negotiating a price in Southern California (San Diego)

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2002, 12:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Negotiating a price in Southern California (San Diego)

How much over invoice did you pay on your A4? Did you have to wait? Who did you deal with? Can you get a better deal if you special order?

From what I've read, there are no deals to be found right now which leads me to believe it is best to wait. On-lot inventory is sparse.
Old 04-22-2002, 02:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Negotiating a price in Southern California (San Diego)

i got mine $750 under sticker

but i got a 2002 Silver A4 Avant Quattro 5M which i guess is quite rare.

call Dennis up at Miramar VW/Audi .. tell him Lon sent you and im sure he'll hook you up

he's a fellow VWVortex buddy in SD
Old 04-22-2002, 05:36 AM

Default I paid 1% over invoice outside Boston, MA.

If you know *exactly* what you want, assemble e-mails to the dealerships that specify your requirements and demonstrate your seriousness to buy (that will get them moving). Take the best price from one dealer and publish it to the others. Now watch the price fall. Dealerships can't stand to be outbid by their competition. Keep it impersonal. In the end, you'll have one price that no one else can beat - there's your deal. The key is to leverage as many dealers as possible.
Old 04-22-2002, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default e-mails and faxes often don't work if demand is high.

Too much work for dealer with no commitment from customer.

I know several salespeople in Socal. Cars in short supply. Period.
Old 04-22-2002, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Inventory likely to remain pretty sparse until Sept/Oct.

In the past few years, Audi has increased yearly allocations to North America by 30%. This year it is planned to be 10 to 15%.Advertising budget is way up to increase demand. The reason is to allow dealership infrastructure a chance to catch up and allow dealers to make a little extra profit to pay for all the improvements Audi is asking them to make. Typically an Audi sales dept breaks even with no money to spare.

A special order should not cost any more or less than a regular sale. A special order is more work than a regular sale ( choosing options, making deal, tracking specific order and updating client, as well as frequent special requests ), but is spread out over a longer period and pretty much garranteed to sell once it arrives.

Talk to Drew Polenchar ( if you know what you want ), or Robert Hayes ( if you need to make a decision ), at Commonwealth in Santa Ana. Don't just talk to anybody.
Old 04-22-2002, 11:49 AM

i got a 3.0 cvt for $1200 below msrp from hoehn audi like 3 months ago.
Old 04-22-2002, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

I got 7% over invoice on my 1.8TM from MiramarVW/ Audi. Car was located at a dealer in Woodland Hills. They had no problem searching inventory statewide. They drove it down the next day. Avoid Metro VW/Audi...total a$$holes!!!
Old 04-23-2002, 06:08 AM

Default I suppose that geographics is important.

All of the area dealers are easily flexible well below the ranges I've seen west coast folks discussing here and elsewhere. Although I must admit, for someone who considers himself a poor negotiator, 1% over invoice is quite the deal.

Do the west coast people know how your cars get there? I know that I've seen literally hundreds of Audis at a time in the Charlestown port of Boston. Within a 75 mile radius of Boston there are at least a dozen Audi dealers, most of them with every color, power plant, and option set you could imagine. No waiting for orders or compromising what you wanted to take something off the lot.

Are new cars shipping in to the west coast ports? Or are they coming from Germany to the east coast then being trucked? I can understand how this type of added overhead could be passed on to the customer.
Old 04-23-2002, 12:30 PM

Maybe cuz the manager at Metro came from Miramar... hmmmm...