A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Neuspeed 21mm rear sway bar installed today- impressions of install & performance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 08:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Neuspeed 21mm rear sway bar installed today- impressions of install & performance.

I did the install at a tuning shop that several of my buddies run in Ayer, MA (about 50 minutes from Boston). The install was relatively straightforward, although not quite as easy as Neuspeed makes it out to be. First of all, they ship the brackets that need to be welded to the subframes pre-painted, which requires that you strip the paint off in order for the welding to work. Secondly, it was was somewhat difficult to get the welder into the space around the brackets because the lower control arms are very close by. The exhaust does need to be dropped, but doesn't actually have to be removed, just allowed to hang a bit, and that's no trouble. In all, the whole thing only took a couple of hours, and now I have a shiny red sway bar under the back of my car. On the whole, the install was quite painless. I'll post pictures of the brackets and the bar soon.

Driving impressions: I am quite pleased with the handling boost the bar gives. While it's not a night and day difference, the car is noticably flatter while cornering, and steering response is definitely improved. Most important, however, is the change in overall cornering attitude. While the car is still far from a rear driver in terms of oversteer/understeer, it is far more neutral than it was before (my goal with this mod). If measured on a numerical scale where -5 is uncontrollable oversteer and 5 is severe understeer, the stock sport pack car would be a 2.5 and the car with the 21mm bar would be a 1. The car is now much more suceptible to lift-off- and brake-oversteer, both of which I enjoy (in a safe way, of course) and is far more neutral when exiting corners under power. I'll post further reviews of the performance when I get some proper summer tires back on and when I take it to the track. Having driven cars with both the Neuspeed and H-Sport bars (albeit very briefly with the latter) I recommend both of them, but it seems to me like the Neuspeed may change the overall balance of the car more (my goal) while the H-sport reduced roll more on both ends of the car.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Thanks for the write-up. Good info. I have the H-sports and am very happy...

Nice to hear another review. I just adjusted them today and am happy with the results. Ill track them this weekend and have more info, but for city driving they haver performed flawlessly. Cheers! Mike
Old 02-18-2004, 10:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

That's good to know. I feel like I'd have been pretty happy with those too.
Old 02-19-2004, 04:35 AM

Default Good timing...

I'm installing my H&R rear bar today. I too will post a review when done. It's within a mm in diameter of Neuspeed but no welding. It will be interesting to see how it compares. I will install to the stiffest setting.

Which setting did you use?