A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

New to the game, searching for info!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2021, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

My '78 died when my gf (now wife) backed up fast in the dark. A tree jumped out and pushed the trunk into the rear window in' 80.
The replacement '80 soldiered on loyally until' 85,when it was replaced. With that car, I woke up one morning to find out that it -they-posed an existentialist threat to the world, cars ramming out of control through garages, pedestrians etc. It was worth half of its value the night before. Such BS, but Audi sales tanked. That car died at about 140k with the failure of the gasket between the tyranny and the diff, locking the front wheels at 60mph.
It was replaced with a '93 wagon. By then Audi USA was on life support, selling just 14k units in' 93. They were subventing leases big time, such that by lease-end, the residual was 21k,and the book value was 16. VW Credit wouldn't budge, so back it went. We then entered the "minivan age" yecch
The following users liked this post:
turbo510 (07-15-2021)
Old 08-06-2021, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a wrecker for audi, porsche and beemer on San Jose Ave in San Jose, CA. They pull the part while you wait and have beat all online pricing for me consistently. 20 acres of various and new parts too. They pull and ship also. I've been using autozone and Winchester Auto Parts for new. Owned and run by old school German man. Likely to have well serviceable rack, pump, lines with 60% or better life left for 1/3 price. Have you considered rebuilding calipers it isn't too hard and cost is minimal. I'm about to take on wheel bearings and am not sure if the tool kits are worth it. Have used tractor sockets and hydraulic ram for push/pull and cut discs as necessary. For small and somewhat fragile bits a huge vise and custom cut round stock for exact fit. Now if I would remember to label the plugs and discs. Heck, would still lose or loan them. If I get into SJ I'll swing by a guy who rebuilds steering assys and get his promo blurb. Had him do 98 Rover Disco and 91 MR2 for me. No slop, slack and always bolt in compatible. 3/4s of my driving is on our ranch gravel/dirt/mud roads so they get stressed and a run to Tahoe or Mammoth are generally as smooth as desired. After bearings it is "Turbo Time."

Had a mech suggest same with mostly failed water pump on 88 Toyo Celica All Trak in LA on way back from Utah. Celica was new to me on that trip. Ugly things on that trip, passenger side front blew out on exit from I15 at 95+, picked up 143 speed ticket. Sweet car but way too fast for me. I'm babblin' hope it all goes well for you.