A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

New member and looking to purchase a4

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member and looking to purchase a4

Hi guys, I am new to audi(Nissan/BMW guy here). I am joining this forum because in next few weeks I will be buying an a4 for my girlfriend. After that i will be hanging around this forum a lot to learn new things.
I have done some research on this vehicles for some common issues. From what I read so far it seems there are couple things that this vehicle needs to be addressed.

First, the timing belt need to replace every 75k mile however, the dealership told me the belt is due on 100k+ ( can't remember the exact numbers).
Anyone know what's the exact mileages for the timing belt to replace?

Second, auto transmission seems got stock on certain gears. Any feedback?
Third, the recall. Anyone can give me some input?

Like I said, i am looking to purchase one in next few weeks so if you think the vehicle is reliable and worth money or any issues please share with me.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

What year? Engine? Quattro? Any history on the vehicle?

1) Yes, dealer probably would stick with 100K. However, if it is a 1.8t, I would stick with 75K to 80K. Will they last 100K? Yes. I know this because I recently bought an 03 with 103K. It was a one owner car and had been maintained by the same dealer in Nebraska since new (found a receipt in the glovebox; boy was the previous owner shocked when I called during the test drive ). I confirmed through them that the belt had not been replaced, so I went to work. Bottom line, was lucky it hadn't already broken But, I would not recommend waiting. Also, age is as hard on belts as mileage and remember that our B6's are 8 to 11 years old. Not sure about the 3.0, but understand that waiting until 100K is okay for it. And, don't let someone tell you they can tell by looking at the belt. Anyway, unless the seller has proof, just plan on a change. Cost: $750 to $1200 and do the water pump and tensioner while there.

2) Not sure what you mean on the transmission. Did you mean to write "stuck"? If so, run away...or expect to spend $$$$ getting it fixed, especially if it is a CVT.

3) The only recal I am aware of is the coilpacks. I would be surprised if any car has not already had this done. But, if you have a friendly and cooperative dealer, they can tell you. Just call and give them the VIN.

4) You didn't ask for this, but I would recommend you take the car to an indie and have them look at it. Mine doesn't charge, but I am a long time customer that has spent some $$$$ all the way back to the 80's...yeah I'm old...
Old 02-05-2013, 11:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Other issues with these cars include:

-Coolant leak issues at the rear coolant flange, the J-Plug, the thermostat housing, Coolant resevior failure.
-Misc hose failures around the pcv valve
-Little emision hose check valve failures
-Coil pack failures (recall issue)