A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Not all Xenon headlights are created equal...not even OEM Audi.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's wrong with blue? Bulbs are the same so it's not as if the blue ones were coated.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

don't the light get a little bit more blue overtime.
Old 10-20-2004, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

nothing wrong with blue
Old 10-20-2004, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Hmm...here's a theory...

Do you guys suppose the housing itself could affect the light output at all?

The Xenon Ecodes had the normal chrome housing while the S4 Bi-Xenons have the black housing.

Is it possible the light reflected off the chrome somewhat and made the light appear different? While the black absorbes some of the light instead of reflecting it?
Old 10-20-2004, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Is the blue wavelength not absorbed by moisture in the air more than other colors?

I thought the goal was to get the light as white as possible, and blue was more of an effect you see on all the ricer cars because they are running tinted bulbs?

I just thought HID was supposed to be closest to white light. Now everyone is trying to have blue light?

I guess I don't get it??? Is this a trend thing?
Old 10-20-2004, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Well...it's not so much the blue I'm concerned about...

...but the actual light output.

Look at the original post and the pictures. The ones on the the left (bluer) also light up the road much more, it can be easily seem by looking at the light on the road.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default OK, I was curious more than anything.

Maybe I phrased my original post wrong.
Old 10-20-2004, 11:16 AM

Default This is what I know from experience...

I put an aftermarket kit of Phillips Xenons into my old car ('00 celica) and it was a universal given (manufacturers faqs and peoples word) that at first the xenons would have a yellowish tint... but would gradually become more blue over time (after around 48hrs of burn time).

And it was true. After driving with my headlights on all the time the xenons eventually settled to their blue color after about two weeks.

Now, as far as OEM xenons are concerned, I always thought that they were already 'settled' by the time the car was sold.

I bought my '05 1.8T on August 21st...with the lighting package, which means I have the Bi-Xenons with the S4 housings. And yes, I have those rings on the lenses as well.

At first I noticed that my xenons weren't as blue as the other Audi's on the road. But... they were close.

Now, after 2 months of driving with the xenons on day and night the color has definitely become more blue and looks like the other audis out there.

I'd say drive with them on during the day as well, so you can have the color settle quicker. Give it a week or so... and it should get more blue.

The Bi-Xenon lenses are larger than xenon lenses. But I doubt that changes the color of light. I mean... I don't know anything about light refraction so it could very well change the color of light, but in my experience, even with the larger lense, my bi-xenons have become bluer over time.

As for light output... I have no other OEM kit to compare my Bi-Xenons to... but know by driving next to Benzes and Bimmers with xenons that mine are definitely just as bright if not brighter.

Hanwei
Old 10-20-2004, 07:35 PM

nice writeup, I think that that is what he wanted to know
Old 10-20-2004, 11:53 PM

thanks... I hope so.

Quick Reply: Not all Xenon headlights are created equal...not even OEM Audi.