A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Occasional steering "Ping" associated with ABS perhaps?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2003, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Occasional steering "Ping" associated with ABS perhaps?

Question...
Every once in a while after I take a corner quickly or do a swerve on an empty road (or any relatively harsh steering maneuver), the steering wheel seems to stick a little, and then when I move it, it sends this short, single "ping" through the steering wheel along with a small ping noise. It usually occurs after either the traction control, ESP, or ABS is activated (i.e., anything involving the ABS). I'm not sure if it happens when none of the above are activated. Has anyone experienced this? What's up with that?

Also...is the A4's ESP oversensitive? I don't mind it at all (it increases safety and you can turn it off if desired), but it seems like it engages preventatively instead of correctively. For example, I can get it to brake a front wheel without any hint of oversteer (haven't tested it w/understeer).

I thought ESP sensed oversteer or understeer and CORRECTED, not prevented. (Actually, it seems like preventing would be a better system, but I was unaware that it worked like this). If this is the way it's supposed to be, is that a new thing as far as Bosch's ESP goes? I know our ML320's Bosch ESP engages correctively...not nearly as safe.