A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Oil BT: question about useful life of stock dealer synthetic oil...

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default We've seen great lab reports & clean internals @10k w/quite a few oils.Driving cycle's important

10k intervals on ONLY Syntec 5w-50 at 110k, this V6 is clean as a whistle. I don't want to drag out a bunch of 1.8t UOAs. Trust me you can go 10k with otc 5w-30 Mobil 1, they claim 15k with M1 EP with a warranty.<ul><li><a href="http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=005119">http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=005119</a</li></ul>
Old 06-14-2005, 02:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default It's not the analysis of the overall oil but the hot spots in the engine...

and turbo lines. 15K with the new EP is ludicrous on our cars. The 15K warranty wouldnt apply to our cars since the manual says 10K. I just dont think risking the engine is worth the $20 in oil. No harm in changing more frequently. I've never gone longer than 4K miles and often every 1K miles when tracking, but 5K IMO is the least. cheers! mike
Old 06-14-2005, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Most common trip is a 20 min., 13 mile commute to work (one-way), half of that is highway...

Not too many of the 5 minute trips to the grocery store.

Anyway, many thanks for the info. At minimum, I'll get an oil change after 4-5k miles this time. I did go 11 months on my last oil change, but at least I did it with Mobil 1 0W-40.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

You'll be fine. Mobil 1 5w-40 &amp; German Syntec 0w-30 will go 1yr/ 15k.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The analysis is partly oil characteristics plus wear metals suspended therein. What do you look for?

We've got:

1-oem test sequences which indicate 30km/18k miles service plus generic ACEA sequence that is 10 times longer than API SL.

2-Actual owner UOA database of this same engine and same oil as high as 10k miles and the professional opinion of Terry Dyson that the oil is still fit for continued use. (the same person who makes the good/bad call for AoA warranty claims)

3-Oil manufacturers who offer a performance guarantee and warranty for as much as 15,000 miles and will pay for repairs due to any oil-related failures. This applies to owners who are out-of-warranty. The 10k indicated in the manuals that you refer to is still double what you suggest.
Their basic grade oil is 5000 miles, but you insist on telling other AW members thats the max they can use any oil for. Is that also the assertion of the Motul professional you speak with? I'd expect you to be a bit more with it, come on!
Old 06-14-2005, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Not everyone has a lift or wants to deal w/ a mechanic.The oil costs $20, were saying better to...

change it w/o the filter than not. That's more in agreement with what you prefer, but without waiting around for a dealer OC. Honestly, you probally experience a higher level of enthusiasim when yuo take your car in than the adverage 1.8t owner whill will either sit in a waiting room for a half day or will need 2 round trip drop-offs and be without a car and the money. $15 for a filter at the dealer plus $20-$40 labour. Not worth it if adv Joe has an oil extractor and a case of Mobil 1 and can cahnge it in the shade at his/her lesiure for $20. It's a win-win.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

OEM Mann filters say "30,000km / 2 years" right on them. I doubt if they are clogged at 5k.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've seen members who heed the 10K advice with blown motors, never my 5K advice though...

that's how I arrive at it. Remember you used to advocate a lengthy tbelt interval too in order to save a few bucks and now Audi had a class action lawsuit in order to start changing their mind on that.

If you do a simple search I have pulled up several members who have coked with the synthetic. Are 95% safe? Sure. Would you like to be one of the minority when $20 a year could have helped to prevent it? That would be silly. Again, a UOA is only going to provide so much information with regards to coking in specific areas would you not agree? Also if you find me a UOA in certain ranges in the same car, i'll find you another one in that same car on the same oil that looks completely differently. If there is one thing you can take from the oil forums it is that everyone gets different results so it is best to go the most conservative rather than the opposite. I dont look at it like, "I was able to get this many miles out of my Tbelt or oil so you should be able to as well."

The Audi specific tuners have indeed specified 5K mile changes and changing the TBelt at 30K miles for a modified car and 60K for a stock car. These are folks who work on the audi 1.8T not older v6 beaters or cars or other makes. I have no doubt those other cars with different engines and larger oil capacities run the oil fine for much longer. Are you familar with the oil temperature reached inside the 1.8T motor? Thats just the temps taken at the probe. cheers! Mike
Old 06-14-2005, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I doubt they are clogged as well. Doesnt mean they shouldnt be replaced. You wait to the edge of..

usable life and you are asking from problems. Keep in mind Audi has already determined the stock filters on the 1.8t which also were good for 2 years were actually not good for a single day on our cars. They were inapropriately sized for our application due to the oil capacity and sludge issues. cheers! Mike
Old 06-14-2005, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it possible to get to the filter from below, or is removing the coolant resv. a must?

Quick Reply: Oil BT: question about useful life of stock dealer synthetic oil...