A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Oil Change Stuff (may be old news)

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Change Stuff (may be old news)

Hi all,

Had the 30k-mile service done on my wife's '02 A4 Avant 1.8T this morning. I've always brought my own oil to the dealer (Mobil1 0W40), but when I made the appointment this time, they told me I didn't have to, since they now use synthetic (ever since the service bulletin many of us received relating to oil-slude problems). I know some of you indicated that your dealers still did not offer synthetic. I was glad to see that my dealer does.

I still brought my own oil, since my dealer uses Castrol synthetic, and I use Mobil1 in all my cars. I have no other reason besides "that's what I always use". Partway through the service, the service advisor came out to let me know that the 1.8T now takes 4.3 quarts (instead of 3.8 quarts that was originally spec'd), due to the larger oil filter. I had only supplied 4 quarts of Mobil1, so he asked if it was alright with me if they topped it off with .3 quarts of Castrol Synthetic 5W30. (Sure.) Was a pleasant surprise that they actually thought enough to notify me.

Finally, I decided to purchase a new oil filter from the parts counter (since I change the oil myself at 5k intervals, between the dealer services). Interestingly, before he brought me the filter, he asked if I used synthetic or non-synthetic, as if it had something to do with the filter he would bring me. The filter was indeed the new larger filter.

I continue to be happy with my dealer (Leith Audi, in Cary, North Carolina). And just thought I'd add a datapoint regarding "dealers who use / don't use synthetic oil".

Take care,
David
Old 12-21-2004, 01:21 PM

Default No need/sense to do 5K OCI's with M1 0W-40. It's made for extended drains.

That's why it carries VW503.01 approval. 10K miles is a breeze for it.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:53 PM

Default Re: No need/sense to do 5K OCI's with M1 0W-40. It's made for extended drains.

Oil changes at 5k intervals is cheap insurance. It takes me maybe 20 minutes (including warming up the car), and I enjoy doing it.

A couple of years ago, Audi believed that that 10k intervals with non-synthetic and the smaller filter was all OK as well....

Dave
Old 12-21-2004, 05:56 PM

Default Just an unnecessary waste of oil, filter,... non renewable resources.

It's not really a matter of how long it takes or if you enjoy doing it. I'm just trying to point out the waste and unnecessary point of it, that this oil is made for extended drains and it is fine to do so. I've been doing extended drains for 8 years in VW/Audi 1.8t's with over 225K miles combined, averaging 8-12K miles. My last OCI was 11K miles in my A4 1.8t and the UOA's have been showing very good results with not only the oil holding up, but also engine wear being extremely good. I even use a Canton/Mecca Performance filter (smaller then OEM oil capacity but much better filtration, no by-pass,..etc). Point is, I could easily go 15-18K miles. Hell, my Dad did 19K miles with M1 0W-40 in his CayenneS. Yes, it has a large oill sump, but it shows that it is more then possible. VW tested Motul 8100 E-Tech 0W-40 (my pick) for 400 hrs and stated that the next OC should be in 30K km [18K miles]. Thats why it carries, along with M1 and some others, the VW503.01 approval.

Changing the oil more often doesn't really guarantee anything. That's dino crude oil talking and Jiffy Lube mentality to make sales (get customers to come in). Only necessary for certain engines, oil type, driving habits, weather/climate,.. etc.

When did Audi believe that non-synth was ok? The car came with Castrol Syntec SLX 0W-30 from the factory. Who even uses dino crude in a new car? Dino crude is only used by cheap dealers and morons. And whoever thinks that dino crude can go past 5K miles is an idiot and should not own a new vehicle. Thing is, most oils pushed on the public are synth, just not always the best quality, or blends unfortunately, which aren't able to do the extended drain.

I think these sludge problems wouldn't have happened if all the owners/dealers kept with high quality synthetic oil (VW503.01). But due to customers/dealers negligence using dino crude, running low on oil, never checking it (<i>"help, my oil warning light came on"</i>), and going 10K miles with it, on top of having a small oil sump, that is where the problem stemmed from IMO. Owners were either too cheap to buy good synth oil, or just too ignorant to know better (and this caused by who I wonder; oil companies, Jiffy Lube and cheap dime-a-barrel dino crude purchased by dealers to save a buck).