A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Oil level warning on A4 3.0?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Oil level warning on A4 3.0?

hi!
trying to help a friend of my with his 2002 A4 3.0Q..
he gets oil low level warning now and then without reason...? (there is enough oil)
i so far checked oil sensor connections at bottom--->OK
he had temp sensor problem...changed that--->no difference..
fuses checked--->no fault...
what might the problem be?..oil sensor itself?

the level warning dissapears only if he touches the oil stick....????
he tried to just open and close the hood...didn't help...so no problem with hood switch..
ideas? cheers!/H
Old 07-04-2010, 05:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard of the 1.8 and 2.0 Turbo having oil sludge problems causing
that to happen but not too many 3.0's.

How many miles?
And has the oil pan been dropped and the screen cleaned?

Dropping the oil pan and cleaning the screen should cost about $350.
at a local mechanic/Gemini Goodyear service center.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Halo549
I have heard of the 1.8 and 2.0 Turbo having oil sludge problems causing
that to happen but not too many 3.0's.

How many miles?
And has the oil pan been dropped and the screen cleaned?

Dropping the oil pan and cleaning the screen should cost about $350.
at a local mechanic/Gemini Goodyear service center.
It has got 65k miles on it.. Oil pan never been removed..maybe gonna take a look at next oil change.. /H
Old 07-05-2010, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default he could have one or both of these two problems

1. old oil/wrong weight
and/or
2. just low enough in the engine

i have had this sort of problem with my 3.0. the oil is probably too thin when the engine is hot and therefore sets off the low pressure alarm. Once yo check it with the dipstick, it "seems" ok. But that dipstick is the worst piece of crap on the planet for actually reading the oil level.

How to fix: need synthetic oil of proper weight and, proper amount. Change it regularly, 5k to 7k OCI, depending on driving conditions. Watch the level every other fill-up. Keep a quart handy in the trunk. And learn how to read that darn dipstick. I have 169k on my 3.0 and my oil consumption is minor when using the right oil. I had a few scares and a indy mechanic i used put crap oil in like 3x in a row. It was summer, extra hot engine, etc. and I was scared for a major problem. But, the changes I've outlined above solved my issue straightaway.

Of course, there are other potential causes for this issue, sludge, etc, but look at this first.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Just making sure we are talking about the "yellow" oil level versus the "red" oil pressure warning. 2 very different issues. Is the "yellow cautionary" light or the "red pull over now!!!!" light?
Old 07-08-2010, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

He have the yellow low level warning.. He use Shell helix ultra fully synthetic oil 5w-40.. /H
Old 07-09-2010, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

I have a 1.8t, but assume the 3.0 has a similar or even the same sensor (see link below for one source). You said you checked the wires, but nothing about the sensor itself. They are known to go bad and are easy to replace. Just wait until you next oil change and change the sensor. It is an unplug, 3 bolts, and you are done. That is probably your issue.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B6_A4-...ch/Oil_Sensor/
Old 06-26-2011, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

bumping this issue again... =)
i have changed the sensor now on recent oil change...still same problem..
took some look with vcds under 17-instrument group 006/007
seems to bee some strange in there..under group 006..
all 3 values are the same? showing 4mm...? Ecu problem or wtf?
anyone who happens have a 3.0 and can check that?
it's the:
Group 6:
- Min oil level in service interval
- Max oil level in service interval
- 100km avg oil level difference
cheers!/H
Old 07-18-2011, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default oil level sensor problem.

Just had similar problem with my 1.8T A4. Replaced sensor, no go. Then worked my way up harness and found a broken wire about 12" up from connector on pan. Whew. Problem solved.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Greetings,

Although I have the C6 platform (in the form of a 2007 A6 Quattro, 4.2L, S-Line Trim) I have the exact same issue. I've had my low oil light come on about 5 times now since the most recent oil change (with 502 spec oil at the recommended weight (0W-40) with Castrol Synthetic). Checking the oil level per owner’s manual instruction always showed more than half way between min and max. Driving conditions are totally independent of the low oil light indication (i.e. one episode where it came on during a drive on a twisty road and at least three other times just cruising at constant speed on the flat with cruise control engaged. I did notice that just by pulling the dip stick up and inch or so and re seat it will clear the warning at the next engine start. It may be several weeks before it shows again or a few days. If I don’t remove the dip stick the indication appears at every engine start and remains on. The indicator light has never indicated the sensor is at fault.

I bought the car used over a year ago and have never needed to add oil between changes. Except for a very slow coolant loss I have yet to trace down (it's not a cracked reservoir and I have yet to find a detectable leak external on the engine or coolant lines/hoses) it has been a well behaved car. It has approx. 82,000 miles on it.

I've got about 1500 miles to go before the next oil service. When I service the car I'll have a look at the level sensor connection and have a look at the wire routing and also see where the dip stick is routed to the pan. If I get the warning soon again I'll hook up the VCDS and see what the codes are indicating and give the dip stick a wiggle without removing it and see if that clears it again.
Very strange issue and maybe one of us will narrow the issue down.

Regards,

Jon

Originally Posted by hrc4u
hi!
trying to help a friend of my with his 2002 A4 3.0Q..
he gets oil low level warning now and then without reason...? (there is enough oil)
i so far checked oil sensor connections at bottom--->OK
he had temp sensor problem...changed that--->no difference..
fuses checked--->no fault...
what might the problem be?..oil sensor itself?

the level warning dissapears only if he touches the oil stick....????
he tried to just open and close the hood...didn't help...so no problem with hood switch..
ideas? cheers!/H

Quick Reply: Oil level warning on A4 3.0?