A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

OK I'm starting a new sway bar topic, could use a bit more help before I spend the dough

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default OK I'm starting a new sway bar topic, could use a bit more help before I spend the dough

My car: 2003 A4 Avant 3.0L manual, sport

I currently have stock, sport OE everything (Suspension-wise).

From what I've read here, I'd like to upgrade my sway bar, in as safe a manner as possible, to improve handling.

From what I understand my options are:

OEM S4 sway bar
OEM RS4 sway bar
aftermarket S4 sway bar

Which one should I go with, and where should I buy it? My feeling is the S4 sway bar (OEM) would be safe and an appreciable difference. How about installation? Do I just order the bar from clairparts or something? Any other parts needed?
Old 04-12-2007, 06:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

s4 h-sport sway bar from purems...install yourself...done
Old 04-12-2007, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default *ding*

although that is the most expensive option.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default so this? But this is front AND rear - i thought i only needed the rear? expensive too

<a href="http://www.purems.com/products/product.php/II=725">pure ems s4</a>
Old 04-12-2007, 07:01 AM
Rest In Peace

Default It really depends on how you drive your car, and what you want from it. >

Upgrading the rear swaybar only will make the turn in much better, but still have a very compliant stock like ride.
You have 2 choices as to how aggressive you want it to be, S4 or RS4.

H-sports F&amp;R will make your car corner flatter and add a little more stiffness to the ride, but only a slight bit. The car will feel more stable, but may not have AS quick a turn in as with just a stiffer rear bar.

I just put H-sports on my A6 Avant, with the rear on the stiffest setting. It has stock non-sport suspension on it. It used to lean badly, and now it doesn't. It actually feels much more like my A4 but bigger and heavier.

My A4 has '02 stock sport suspension and an S4 rear swaybar. It corners pretty flat, and the turn in is very nice. I track this car, so I didn't want a stiffer front swaybar. There is still a tiny bit of understeer at the limit, which I could get rid of with the RS4 swaybar.
I don't know if I'll change it though. I was able to keep up with many cars through the turns at Lime Rock with the current setup.

It's also up to you how much you want to spend.

Installation is very easy on the front, and not bad on the rear, you just have to wrestle it out from the exhaust.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:07 AM

Default After extensive searching on this and AZ's forum, I'm installing an S4 sway that I picked up used

with new bushings. Also picking up new bolts from dealer. I'm leaving the front stock, no need to mess with anything up front.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default thanks...

I don't track my car, and I'm not an idiot-fast driver (i.e. i don't drag race on busy highways like a lot of morons around here). But I do like my car to handle well, so it sounds like maybe the S4 rear sway would be the ideal choice!
Old 04-12-2007, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

thanks, where's a good place to find this used?
Old 04-12-2007, 09:00 AM
Rest In Peace

You should like the result. Ride will feel the same, turn in will be quicker.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:08 AM

Default Check the S4 forum, some of those guys upgrade and they have em laying around.

Check the classifieds as well and ebay doesn't hurt.

Quick Reply: OK I'm starting a new sway bar topic, could use a bit more help before I spend the dough